eddynav
1 Nickel

NX-OS on MDS? And a general question re:the new Nexus switches.

Jump to solution
Does anyone know when EMC is going to start supporting the new NX-OS on the MDS 9000 series?

Also, I'm curious if folks on the forum who have an MDS today are looking at the new Cisco Nexus class. We're looking at the 5000 and 7000 series Nexus for future host connectivity via FCoE while keeping the MDS for backend storage array FC connectivity, and then setting up an ISL between the MDS and the Nexus. That seems to be the model that Cisco is encouraging as well.

Eddy
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
healyj
2 Iron

Re: NX-OS on MDS? And a general question re:the new Nexus switches.

Jump to solution

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RRR
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution
Welcome to the forums, Eddy !

As a matter of fact I'm trying to learn as much as possible about the new NX-OS. Cisco told me about 2 weeks ago that the successor of SAN-OS 3.3(1c) will be this NX-OS 4.1. However, when I try to find info about this on the Cisco site, you really have to dig deep to find anything about NX-OS on MDS. I found a little movie on the Cisco site presenting a Cisco guy talking about NX-OS (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9898/index.html). He says that the new NX-OS will be exactly the same as the SAN-OS and MDS switches can be upgraded like you should with a normal SAN-OS.

I expect EMC to follow this and certify this OS, just like it would do with a SAN-OS version.

The new Unified I/O (I'm not sure if this is what the world will call this) indeed does all I/O from hosts over CNA cards to (for example) Nexus switches that on their turn will split I/O (tcp/ip and FC) and forward it to the dedicated fabrics as they exist today (tcp/ip to the CAT fabric and FC to MDS switches). That explains why Nexus switches don't have that many FC ports: they are used for portchannels to an FC core.

Take a look at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9898/index.html as well.
0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution
I can see this new major release has it's problems: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/ts/fn/631/fn63171.html
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
EMC will be announcing shortly the details on Nexus support which will include updates on the status of SAN-OS and NX-OS. If you need an early update, please contact your EMC sales representative. Unfortunately I can't discuss any of the details until they are made public.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
healyj
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos