Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2013 05:00

New Dell EMC2 user; first time help

Good morning everyone,

I found a Fiber channel SAN off craigslist, and Im lost. It has a fiber channel connector on the back of it, and the server I got with it has an "HBA" card in the back with what looks like LC connections. I searched ebay for fiber channel to LC connector, but I can't find it?? Does anyone know what the cord is called, and have any pointers on how to go about setting it up?

This is the controller I bought for my drive shelf:

Http://www.ebay.com/itm/360578842214?ss ... 1497.l2649

This is the connector cable I bought:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111063568201?ss ... 1497.l2649

Does anyone have any links on how to connect everything together? I have 2 HBA cards in the server I bough tthat have LC style fiber connectors, but I don't know how to connect that to this SAN. Help?

I am attaching pictures of what I have so far (with the controller card out of the unit).

3 Attachments

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 23rd, 2013 06:00

i have a feeling you did not buy all the needed components, take a look at this discussion

Assistance with KTN-STL4 CX Series for a school

5.7K Posts

September 24th, 2013 02:00

I actually thought you bought a SAN, but after seeing the pictures, it looks like you bought a storage array, except, as dynamox said, you're missing components. I don't see any disks and I'm missing power supplies and LCCs.

If you want to start running a storage array, you'll need storage processors and their OS disks. You can connect hosts / HBAs back to back to a storage array, so you don't need a SAN. If you want to connect several hosts, more than FC ports on the array, you'll need to buy a SAN.

By the way: SAN means "Storage Area Network" --> these are the switches you use to connect the storage to the servers. Don't call a storage array a SAN, because these are different things!

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 24th, 2013 04:00

you have piece parts that you can't use as it is, you need to get more components. What you have are probably the cheapest components, the storage processors are where the brains are and that's where you will spend $$$.  Why do you need an enterprise storage array ?

5.7K Posts

If this is an old Clariion system  you would need the first 5 drives. The original ones, at least with the original EMC software on it. You cannot simply clone these disks from another Clariion and I think you'd better contact EMC to buy these drives, while they still support these systems.

For just 1 or 2 servers, you don't need a SAN since you can connect the HBAs directly to the storage ports on the back of the Storage Processors.

Thank you for your reply.

So in laymans terms, what I have will not connect to my server right? If I buy a switch, will I be able to connect this enclosure to a switch and then the switch to my server?

I do have one hard drive in there and I have a power supply in there. I just don't know how to connect this lol.

September 24th, 2013 06:00

Hey Dynamox,

Unfortunately I do not work in a data center. I work in a NOC, but am very interested in finding a spot working as a data center engineer. So for learning/self study I figured I would set one of these up in my rack at home. As a hobby/interest, I do want to get a rack mountable (affordable) enclosure that I can put in my rack and add large 1TB drives as needed as a NAS type storage solution. If you have any guidance/recommendations I would be grateful.

Sounds like I wasted my money on this huh? Should I give up while I'm ahead and list this up on Ebay?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 24th, 2013 06:00

what are your interests, do you want to get into virtualization or storage. If you want to get into virtualization and need some "shared" storage, there are many much cheaper alternatives (open source FreeNAS, Open Filer ..etc). Getting into enterprise storage is going to be tougher because storage arrays are so expensive for home users. If you still want to pursue getting an enterprise array at home, i would look for the whole array. You will find a bunch of components online but they are just a bunch of extra parts ..you need to buy the entire array where the seller guarantees operational condition.

September 24th, 2013 09:00

Hey Dynamox,

For home use I want to do more storage (I want to do all my backups, movie streaming, etc etc in one central place). I am also going to experiment with VMWare a bit (I have a Dell 2850 ready to go). I'm willing to spend a few hundred bucks, but don't want to spend thousands.

I have poked on ebay for rackmount NAS, and the lower cost ones are around $500. Dunno why they're so expensive; I'm fine getting something with just 1 500MB or 1TB drive, and adding drives as I go, but dunno where to start? I've seen the synology NAS's for like $200 but they aren't rack mount.

For the FreeNAS, would I take something like a Dell 2850 put that on as the OS and then that would be a form of NAS?

Thanks for all your help/wisdom.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 24th, 2013 11:00

for $200 you are not going to buy a rack mounted system. Yeah, take a look at FreeNAS and OperFiler. Basically you install the OS and it allows you to share internal storage via CIFS/NFS and iSCSI, ..pretty slick. You can use it as your movie repository and as a VMware datastore.

Openfiler | Openfiler

No Events found!