Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2009 04:00

SAN server could not see tape autocharger

There is a new server with MS Standard Server 2003 sp1 OS installed, PowerPath, HBA etc. On control panel-administrative tools - computer management - device manager the driver for ADIC Scalar 24 310A|Autochanger is not installed. The driver should be installed by itself. I was adviced to check connectivity between that SAN server and the ADIC autochanger. I am looking for a sort of ping for FC environment. I have DS-4700M "Connectrix Manager basic addition" as SAN switch. Everything seems to be OK. I have old servers already installed by someone else, and they could see the autocharger. Where the problem is?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 28th, 2009 06:00

if you are running Emulux HBAs go into HBAnywhere utility or if you are running Qlogic go into Sansurfer utility. In either product you will see the changer/drives if it has been zoned to the host. Sansurfer has to be installed separately while HBAnywhere gets install with the driver at the same time. I had a Scalar i2000 and there not only did i have to zone it to the host, inside of library itself i have to present the robot and the drive to the host.

86 Posts

September 29th, 2009 02:00

I do have emulex ie HBAanyware. Briefly, it gives the same result as for instance inquire -l for nerworker.

The old server which works gives: let say \\.\scsi0:0:4 two lUNs LUN 0 and LUN1, where
First Adapater:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType1
2. LUN 1 ADIC Scalar 24 with OS Device Name \\.\Changer0

Second Adapter:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType1

The new server which has problems:

First Adapater:

No LUN but message LUN is not available when automap is disabled

Second Adapter:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType0

So in fact, there is some problem but where. zone for first and second server is nearly same, and I do not believe that the problem is with switch (fabrics).

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

September 29th, 2009 05:00

not sure if that matters or not but on my host i have "Automappig" enabled. You can try enabling it, in HBAnyware click on Target Mapping, Change Settings and select "Enabled" for Auto-Mapping. Bind TYpe is set to WWPN. My LUN 0 reads:

Vendor Name: Adic
Product Name: Scalar i2000
SCSI OS LUN:0
OS Device Name: \\.\Changer0

then i have four LUNs ( where each stands for a tape drive). Each one reads:

Vendor Name: IBM
Product Name: Ultrium-TD3
SCSI OS LUN:1
OS Device Name: \\.\Tape0

In device Manager i see "Medium Changers" and it lists "Adic Scalar i2k Tape Library" and then i have section for tape drives.

86 Posts

November 30th, 2009 03:00

That is correct I have for one adapter as you wrote.

The problem was in "hardware" nature and that was obvios when I have look at target  apping at the first oo emulex adapter, which was set with attribuite "Automapping" to No. I am bit cautiuos to change automapping to disable. I do not know what is the meaning of od D_ID and SCSI_ID. What is use of refresh button? I a having problem undestanding what HBA is and how to function. What I mean very basic.

I am bit scared to do what you done, because I do not understand it.

No Events found!