pereubu
2 Iron

SAN server could not see tape autocharger

There is a new server with MS Standard Server 2003 sp1 OS installed, PowerPath, HBA etc. On control panel-administrative tools - computer management - device manager the driver for ADIC Scalar 24 310A|Autochanger is not installed. The driver should be installed by itself. I was adviced to check connectivity between that SAN server and the ADIC autochanger. I am looking for a sort of ping for FC environment. I have DS-4700M "Connectrix Manager basic addition" as SAN switch. Everything seems to be OK. I have old servers already installed by someone else, and they could see the autocharger. Where the problem is?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
dynamox
6 Thallium

Re: SAN server could not see tape autocharger

if you are running Emulux HBAs go into HBAnywhere utility or if you are running Qlogic go into Sansurfer utility. In either product you will see the changer/drives if it has been zoned to the host. Sansurfer has to be installed separately while HBAnywhere gets install with the driver at the same time. I had a Scalar i2000 and there not only did i have to zone it to the host, inside of library itself i have to present the robot and the drive to the host.
pereubu
2 Iron

I do have emulex ie HBAanyware. Briefly, it gives the same result as for instance inquire -l for nerworker.

The old server which works gives: let say \\.\scsi0:0:4 two lUNs LUN 0 and LUN1, where
First Adapater:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType1
2. LUN 1 ADIC Scalar 24 with OS Device Name \\.\Changer0

Second Adapter:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType1

The new server which has problems:

First Adapater:

No LUN but message LUN is not available when automap is disabled

Second Adapter:

1. LUN0 is IBM ULTRIX-TD3 with OS Device Name \\.\UnknownDeviceType0

So in fact, there is some problem but where. zone for first and second server is nearly same, and I do not believe that the problem is with switch (fabrics).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
dynamox
6 Thallium

not sure if that matters or not but on my host i have "Automappig" enabled. You can try enabling it, in HBAnyware click on Target Mapping, Change Settings and select "Enabled" for Auto-Mapping. Bind TYpe is set to WWPN. My LUN 0 reads:

Vendor Name: Adic
Product Name: Scalar i2000
SCSI OS LUN:0
OS Device Name: \\.\Changer0

then i have four LUNs ( where each stands for a tape drive). Each one reads:

Vendor Name: IBM
Product Name: Ultrium-TD3
SCSI OS LUN:1
OS Device Name: \\.\Tape0

In device Manager i see "Medium Changers" and it lists "Adic Scalar i2k Tape Library" and then i have section for tape drives.
pereubu
2 Iron

That is correct I have for one adapter as you wrote.

The problem was in "hardware" nature and that was obvios when I have look at target  apping at the first oo emulex adapter, which was set with attribuite "Automapping" to No. I am bit cautiuos to change automapping to disable. I do not know what is the meaning of od D_ID and SCSI_ID. What is use of refresh button? I a having problem undestanding what HBA is and how to function. What I mean very basic.

I am bit scared to do what you done, because I do not understand it.

0 Kudos