AranH1
4 Germanium

Re: Shutdown and move Cisco 9506 switches

Jump to solution
Brad,
I will let someone else answer that question, I don' have much experience with ISLs.

Question for you though, your two MDS906s are linked via ISL? So you don't have redundant/separate fabrics? Is there a reason you have the ISL between your switches?
0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution
It might happen that a port will go "error disabled". This will take a little while before happening (I'm not sure if it's 1 hour or 2 or maybe even half an hour), but when a port gets in this state, you'll need to "shut" and "no shut" the ports on both sides to get the ISL's up and running again. The portchannel wil restore itself after that.
0 Kudos
brad12341
2 Iron

Jump to solution
AranH - Good question about the redundant fabrics and ISL. The two fabrics were implemented by EMC with an ISL. The first switch is vsan100 and the second is vsan200 and the isl (2 ports on each switch) is vsan 300.

I'm not sure why EMC implemented it this way. Every host and every storage port has it's redundant counter part in the other switch/vsan. I'm not sure why we would need an ISL for this. Maybe it has something to do with Fabric Manager being able to see both fabrics at the same time.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
AranH1
4 Germanium

Jump to solution
Brad,
I am not sure either why they would have implemented two switches with an ISL without a specific solution that required it. Ideally you would have each fabric logically and physically separate to prevent any fabric wide problems from affecting your entire infrastructure. You have physical redundancy with your current setup, but with the ISL there are shared logical components.

If you have the FM license you can manage both fabrics at the same time. Other wise you have to open one at a time. Not sure how the ISL affects this, but IMHO it is not a good reason to connect your fabrics.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
I would assume the ISL was created for the ability to grown as the SAN matures. You can always just block the ISL connection between the switches. What usually happens if you isolate the switches though is that you have one resource on one switch you need on the other switch. You can always recable but having an active ISL you can use is faster.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution
i thought there was a way to ISL two separate switches where both switches are managed by FM from one view (without FM license), yet fabrics do not merge.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Back in 2.x and early 3.x you weren't required to have a license installed to see multiple fabrics at the same time. You were technically suppose to have the licenses to be not in violation but Cisco didn't enforce it. Cisco decided to close that backdoor around the license. Cisco is closing down even more licensing back doors in 4.1(1) so if you like the features of FMS, you'll need to ensure you are correctly licensed going forward. In 4.1(1) you can't collect PM data on switches that don't have FMS licenses. Each and every switch will need to have the license or you won't be able to pull stats or run reports.

Thank you.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
FYI, In Windows, there is a small free cmdline tool called FCInfo:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=73d7b879-55b2-4629-8734-b0698096d3b1&di...

Output looks like this:

There are 2 adapters:
com.qlogic-QLA2340-0: PortWWN: 21:00:00:e0:8b:01:b5:8f \\.\Scsi2:
com.qlogic-QLA2340-1: PortWWN: 21:00:00:e0:8b:01:c0:93 \\.\Scsi3:
0 Kudos
AranH1
4 Germanium

Jump to solution
Cool, I hadn't seen that before.

If you have Solutions Enabler installed you can also list the HBAs on the host:

C:\>symmask list hba

Identifier Type Adapter Physical Device Path Dir:P
---------------- ----- ---------------- ------------------------ -----
210000e08b90490f Fibre 210000e08b90490f \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1 08D:1
210000e08b907b86 Fibre 210000e08b907b86 \\.\PHYSICALDRIVE6 09D:1

If the command doesn't list all the HBAs on your host run the discover process first:

C:\>symmask discover hba

Symmetrix ID : xxxxxxxxxxxx
Device Masking Status : Success

Identifier Type User-generated Name
---------------- ----- ---------------------------------
210000e08b90490f Fibre
210000e08b907b86 Fibre
0 Kudos

Jump to solution
Is Solutions Enabler a free tool?
0 Kudos