Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 16th, 2009 10:00

Splitting one fabric into two

We have a need to split two of our edge switches off of our existing fabric into a separate fabric on their own. (internal politics, long story)

As a precursor and testing, I've created a new port channel between these two switches and moved all the ports into their own VSAN. This new VSAN is isolated just to these two switches and is only permitted to trunk on the port channel between them, not back to the existing core.

I was planning on just dropping the port channels back to the original core, doing a rediscover of both new fabrics in FM and walking away from it as completed.

Anyone done this before and has run into other gotchas/issues that I should watch out for. I'm a little concerned as what's going to happen to VSAN1 since I know it's going to become segregated, and my port channel ports live in that VSAN... There's nothing else in that VSAN *but* port-channels and ISLs.

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

5.7K Posts

February 18th, 2009 01:00

So you allow VSAN 1 over the portchannels now ? Personally I only put the ISL ports in VSAN 1 and don't permit VSAN 1 traffic over the portchannel. So in your case I'd cut the line and get 2 separate fabrics which can be rediscovered. And yes, I've done it before.

24 Posts

February 18th, 2009 09:00

I didn't think about that, there really is no reason for VSAN0001 traffice to be permitted on the port channels, since yes, in my config the only thing in VSAN1 are the ISLs.

5.7K Posts

February 19th, 2009 02:00

If there's absolutely nothing to be reached "on the other side", disconnect the two fabrics and save some ports which you now can start using for hosts, storage, tape or new ISL's.
No Events found!