Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2009 10:00

Trunk "allowed VSANS"

I have 2 mds9506 in the Pas location and two more .5 miles away in the Alt location. PasMds1 has an ISL to AltMds1 using dark fiber. PasMds2 has an ISL to AltMds2. The ISLs are on 2 TE ports on each switch. We have Vsan 101 on TE ports on the Mds1 switches and Vsan 201 for the Mds2 switches. The 101 and 201 vsans go across the ISL and allow the AIX Oracle servers in Alton talk to the DMX4 in Pasteur.

The second TE port on the Mds2 switches is configured wrong. The "allowed VSANS" on the trunck config screen should only allow vsan 201. Currently it allows 1-4096. I will correct this to allow only vsan 201.

What will happen when I make the change to one of the TE ports on PasMds2 and Altmds2? Will all the interfaces log out and then log back in to the switches? Is this safe to do during the day? It's hard to get an outage/maint window as many hosts are 24/7. All production hosts and storage go to two different switches for redundancy.

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 07:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

197 Posts

April 20th, 2009 12:00

This may help. I have an ISL setup with 1-3,20 allowed. I removed VSAN 20 from the allowed list and that VSAN was gracefully shutdown for that port only. When that happened my VSAN 20 was now segmented within that fabric. Nothing happened with VSANs 1-3. When I allowed VSAN 20 again it merged with the other VSAN 20's in the Fabric. It doesn't specifically address what you are doing but it does show it does stop trunking for other VSANs if you make a change to the trunk allowed list.

So if I were to make your change I would do it via the GUI and say VSAN allowed is 201 and hit apply. Or do it in the CLI and say switchport trunk allowed vsan 201 . I wouldn't negate the previous entry because I think that would segment the VSANs momentarily.

Here is the only event generated when I removed VSAN 20 from the allowed list:
Interface fc1/16, vsan 20 is down (Gracefully shutdown),
then added back
Interface fc1/16, vsan 20 is up
No Events found!