Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2009 00:00

VSAN Question.

Question about the best practices for VSAN:
There is an application talking to Oracle DB. The Oracle DB server is connected to DMX and the application servers are connected to Clariion CX-3.
All of these hosts and Storage systems are connected via CiscoMDS.

We would like to separate this application traffic from others and would like to create a VSAN for the application hosts . This will result in application hosts and CX-3 in one VSAN and the DB Hosts and the DMX in another VSAN.

Is this a better approach ? Any concerns about keeping the DB and Applications on separate VSANs ? Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Thanks in advance

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

February 6th, 2009 13:00

Hello,

Without an exact SAN diagram and all the details I can only provide you with overall recommendations. Overall it is always a good thing to limit interaction between devices that don't need to part of the same SAN. VSANs allow separate services to isolate and protect the SAN so I'm very in favor of their use as you have indicated. You need to keep in mind though if any of the devices might need to be accessed by devices in a different VSAN though. You can always use IVR to go between VSANs but I recommend using IVR only where it is absolutely necessary. A combination of clean zoning (single initiator to single target), VSANs, ARLs, etc. can help to improve the security and performance of the SAN. If you need more detailed assistance you might want to engage your local EMC field support.

Thank you.
No Events found!