Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 25th, 2010 11:00

Wait 5 days for firmware upgrade approval. Normal?

We are currently running 2 Brocade 4900's, on Fabric OS v6.1.0c.   We opened the tickets requesting firmware upgrade to v6.3.0c a couple of days ago.   Heard back from the CE today that they can't do such an upgrade without waiting for 5 days for the change approval.   Is this normal?   Who is supposed to be approving the changes anyway?  Is there a way to expedite this upgrade?

45 Posts

The 5 day process is an internal EMC qualification and testing process and typically applies to bin file upgrades.  I do my own switch firmware upgrades, so it doesn't apply to me.

In any event, in certain 'emergency' scenerios they will speed up the process, but it's almost always a bad idea to rush the quality control guys.  What they usually do (at least for bin files) is run a copy of your current set up through their analyzers, then apply whatever changes you need in their tester.  If everything checks out (ie, nothing stops working) it will typically pass.

The actual process probably doesn't take more than a couple of hours.  But bear in mind you're not the only person requesting upgrades and EVERY upgrade request has to go through their analysis process. 

45 Posts

Yep.  It's primarily about making sure no changes that are made by EMC negatively impact your production environment.  The secondary (cynics will say this is the primary) reason is to cover themselves.  As was stated:  If I'm making my own firmware upgrades I'm taking a load of time to be sure nothing blows up because of it.  I would expect no less from EMC.  It typically takes me 2 weeks to go through and verify everything in my environment will be able to handle the upgrade.  EMC does it in 5 days. 

10 Posts

If I had access to the firmware files, I probably would have done it myself as well.

Since we are going from one set of released firmware to another released firmware, and they know nothing else about our setup; what are they analyzing?

Still makes no sense to me.

2.1K Posts

They have to be able to show that they actually put the change through due diligence to verify that it was correct. If they don't follow their internal change management process and come out and cause problems in your environment they would be liable for at least some of the "damage". We do our own firmware upgrades as well (you can request the files from your CE) and it's on my head if anything goes wrong. You can be sure that I carefully review and document anything that might cause a conflict on upgrading. I expect EMC to do the same when they are the ones on the hook.

45 Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

As for the list of 'break stuff' EMC's got many support matrices.  I generally check those, or with Brocade to verify HBA driver/firmware levels.  Powerpath versioning.  Windows server patches.  EMC microcode.  That kind of thing.

As for EMC, of course they don't release firmware without previous testing.  But each environment is different.  At the very least I have to assume (never having been through an EMC switch firmware validation before) that they're at the very least checking for issues with the updated firmware against your installed storage system's microcode.

They've also likely dialled in and pulled supportshows off the switches, and are health checking them to make sure there are no issues.  EMC won't (and no one should) apply firmware to switches with hardware faults.

And (unless things have changed, admittedly it's been a long time) the firmware is most likely typical brocade firmware possibly rebranded by EMC.  There's not typically anything overly proprietary on EMC branded switches.  Heck I re-coded one a few years back when it was out of maintenance and we were moving it to another storage system.

10 Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

I'll apply points shortly.  But this still has me confused (I guess, for current lack of a better word).

EMC knows nothing about my environment, that I am aware of, so what are they analyzing against?   They won't know what I have until they show up here to install the upgrade.  Or is there a "report home" feature in the switches that I am forgetting about?    The CE that said it would take 5 days didn't ask any questions about what the switches were connected to. 

Plus, are you guys saying they release firmware/OS upgrades without having done due diligence first?  It is only after the release that they check them out to see if it breaks stuff?   When you are installing your own, and going through any issues that may "break stuff"; where are you getting your "may break stuff" list from?   That may be a separate forum question though.

February 25th, 2010 14:00

Hello,

There can be a vareity of information that EMC has about your configuration from multiple sources including if your past purchases, info received from service processor, ESRS, etc. depending on what the security restrictions you have in place.   The CCA process is used to check for all known issues against your SAN configuration that could impact you.   Usually there is some flexibilty with the CCA process.   If this upgrade is required prior to the time that the CE replied, please contact the CE to see if can be moved forward.  It may be more of a scheduling issue than CCA.   Any concerns though please address them to your CE or to their management. 

Thank you.

5.7K Posts

February 26th, 2010 01:00

I've seen this before. EMC takes the current config, examines it to check whether there are issues that might need to be resolved first and after 5 days you'll usually get the approval and a CE will call you for an appointment.

No Events found!