Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 4th, 2015 02:00

What would be the optimal SAN speed?

Should we configure all SAN ports to work on the fastest possible speed or would configuring all ports to work at the same speed be the best practice?

I know, "it depends", but when random high latency shows up it's hard to find the actual slowest device on the whole SAN environment.

So set everything to work at 4 Gb, 8 Gb or should you even use 16 Gb where possible?

I'm thinking use 16 Gb whenever possible, for example between switches on the portchannels, so the limited number of ISLs can transport the data to the remote switch as fast as possible. But what about end devices? As fast as possible or the same speed as all other end devices?

I can think of a number of reasons why everything on the same speed can be the best practice, but I can also think of reasons why portchannels need to be as fast as possible.

Any comments on this topic?

141 Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

Hi there,

In our effort s to clean up the forum, we came across your question / statement.

If the question / statement is still valid, not expired and you need an update please reach out again and we try to get it answered.

As for now we set it to “answered.”

Regards,

Jim

5.7K Posts

December 20th, 2016 03:00

Is there anyone who would want to comment on this?

December 20th, 2016 05:00

I think a good option would be to use the maximum speed between the two interfaces, even though this option may result in ports with different speeds. But, make sure the port-channel has enough throughput to meet demand.

5.7K Posts

December 22nd, 2016 02:00

yeah, that seems obvious and that's how I do it, but I was wondering if there are downsides to this approach, such as slow ports not being able to handle the load and the fast ports buffers filling up until they have to stop traffic. That way it looks like the fast ports are the problem, but in fact they simply act like this to prevent traffic to be lost.

5.7K Posts

November 28th, 2017 06:00

ok, I'm fine with that.

No Events found!