dynamox
6 Gallium

Re: Zoning Best Practice?

Jump to solution

if i were a Brocade shop that would be a show stopper, i can't imagine managing systems without fcalias/device names in Cisco world.

Allen_Ward
4 Germanium

Re: Re: Zoning Best Practice?

Jump to solution

Yet we are a fairly large Brocade shop and have never used aliases. We've never really needed them. Maybe that's cause I learned zoning old school in the McData days and have never known how it could be that much easier 🙂

That being said I'm really looking forward to playing with Peer Zoning once we get to FOS 7.4.1. On our Brocade contact's recommendation we are waiting for the v7.4.1 before we upgrade from 7.3.1c (and earlier on some switches) so we don't have the functionality of 7.4 yet. I'm really happy about the Peer Zoning though... finally I can stop listening to the Cisco folks saying "but we have Smart Zoning" *lol*

EdSchulte
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Zaphod,

You can open a Service Request, for peer zoning not being able to use aliases, (make sure to update the supportsaves and the test results), if you want.

And let me know the SR number.

You can put it for my attention, and I can test and open a Request for Enhancement with Brocade.

I can see this to be a bit of a problem all right.

Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
ErikS1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Zaphod, I agree with Ed.  An enhancement request would be the best way to go as it would allow us to point to a specific end user request when we raise this issue with Brocade.

Thanks, Erik

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Allen,

I still have McData ED-140M directors in production (i know, i know ..i am planning on donating them to the smithsonian when they get retired in the next 5 years).  Even in 10 year old Connectrix Manager you could use nicknames, i am surpsied  you survived without aliases for this long

connectrix.png

Allen_Ward
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Well, considering we just got the last of our fabrics out of McData Interop mode alst week I don't have much room to mock your aging infrastructure... But even in the old days we found it was often more trouble than it was worth to use the nicknames on ports. Some people would use them and some wouldn't. Then when someone who didn't bother updating nicknames repurposed a port originally used by someone who did you end up with the wrong label. I know Aliases are a bit better than that but the practice never took hold and has never seemed like it was worth the effort in the "newer" world..

RRR
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

within 5 years already? Hmmmmm. I would start looking for a decent replacement director, like the Brocade 12k (LOL)

0 Kudos
dynamox
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

RRR wrote:

within 5 years already? Hmmmmm. I would start looking for a decent replacement director, like the Brocade 12k (LOL)

Brocade 12k , that's like cutting edge for this customer, they prefer older and proven technology heheh.

Allen_Ward
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Maybe you could talk them into deploying some of the original Brocade DCX chassis. Those are still supported. Just redeployed one of ours recently and it still gets the job done 🙂

0 Kudos
RRR
5 Tungsten

Jump to solution

But of course: it's a Brocade!