ZaphodB
2 Iron

Re: Zoning Best Practice?

Jump to solution

I feel your interop pain; I switched over a couple of years ago, but it was a lot of trouble with no instantaneous payback.

As for aliases, They don't go on ports, they get associated with target/initiator WWNs.  So rather than trusting that a device hasn't been moved from its original port, you can see...in a readable fashion...just what is plugged into each active port.

As for aliases in peer zones I am clear that they are not supported; it says so right in the admin guide.  I am looking to Brocade to see if I can get clarification on whether that is some sort of 'version 1.0' limitation that will be addressed down the road, or if there is a sound technical reason why the two won't mix.  If I get anything more than a shrug out of them I'll post back.

0 Kudos
EdSchulte
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Hi Zaphod,

As already mentioned before, you can open a Service request and put it against my name, for a Request for Enhancement.

Otherwise no RFE will be opened, and it will take a while to be implemented.

Regards,

Ed

0 Kudos
ZaphodB
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Ed,

Thanks for the offer.

After I figured out that I hadn't missed something obvious, and that it really wasn't supported, I started looking at Brocade support. 

While I do not have anything firm or published, someone there told me that it is being worked on, and should/may be available in a ~1 year time-frame.  I can not guess whether that will be as an update to the current version, or in a subsequent release, but I find the rumor credible.

Beyond the handful of peer zones that I created during my initial exploration I am going to wait on converting to Peer Zoning on a wholesale basis until this gets sorted out.  I am far to used to dealing with aliases to let go of them.  I wish it was sooner than a year, but I can do no more than wish Brocade well, and God Speed.

0 Kudos