Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2013 02:00

initiator, target setting to conect server to storage

In san enviornment, which will act as a target and intitiator ??

storage or server ??

5.7K Posts

February 28th, 2013 02:00

In a 1 storage array for 1 or more hosts environment, the storage array will be the target and the host(s) will act as initiators.

In a multiple storage array environment each storage array can also act as an initiator when data replication is used. The sending port of the sending array is the initiator in that case.

February 28th, 2013 03:00

1 storage array for 1 or more hosts environment , the storage array will be the target and the host(s) will act as initiators

at the first time of communication or it will be in same state for further communication..

5.7K Posts

February 28th, 2013 04:00

I don't understand what you're asking. The host is never a target, but the storage array can be both. In normal operation where you only have 1 array, the array is the target.

812 Posts

February 28th, 2013 05:00

jeesonmathew wrote:

at the first time of communication or it will be in same state for further communication..

As RRR explained already, Storage port will be the target and host HBA will be the initiator in a storage to host communication. It will be the same as long as the communication is there.

February 28th, 2013 06:00

vipin i have a scenario that..  backup server is running with one of the hba connected to storage. the server is a client. so in that case it will act as target during backup... backup is now running with this configuration.. so if it maintain in overall communication how  backup will occur ??  the server also able to access the storage. hope u understood the situation.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 28th, 2013 07:00

a lot of backup application will store data locally during the backup windows and then send it to tape. It sounds like in your scenario you are using SAN storage for the "cache" area.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

can you rephrase your last question again, i don't understand if you are asking about backup server connectivity or backup client connectivity.

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

does backup client have SAN connectivity ?

dynamox: i didnt get it completly.. can u explain

backup client connectivity

February 28th, 2013 19:00

Dear Dynamox,

Yes,it is a SAN backup

I will explain ,before that

a lot of backup application will store data locally during the backup windows and then send it to tape. It sounds like in your scenario you are using SAN storage for the "cache" area.

is right they are using storage space as cache space

Problem that we are having only one HBA in the server, and we are using the same hba for data domain backup and emc storage

When ever we are doing any storage level activity backup is failing with a communication error

so we are assuming that

the communication between storage and server will be ,storage target and server initiator

and for the Backup solution Data domain will be initiator and server will target

is that the reason for this problem ,we need a clarifiaction before explain this to customer

advance thanks for your help

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

February 28th, 2013 19:00

that very well might be the issues, best practice is to always segregate disk connectivity from tape/VTL. Could the customer drop another HBA in the server ?

No Events found!