Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2007 06:00

show tech support

When I try to run Show Tech Support via fabric manager I get:

Error: Connection refused: connect

I just connected to the switch via a switch configured id/pw pair in fabric manager:

user: admin
Primary: network-admin
Secondary:
Digest: md5
Encryption: des

How to debug/figure out why this second connection fails? debug aaa = nothing, debug snmp = same. I am not prompted for a id/pw pair after I run show tech support. It seems to come back within one second refusing the connection.

Oh, could this be the connection back the other way to the desktop/firewall of the windows box? Is there some firewall hole that needs to be poked? tcpdump time?

147 Posts

February 13th, 2007 16:00

We ran an ethereal trace and it looks like the Fabric Manager Client runs a logged telnet or ssh session to collect this information. It seems to try an ssh first if you have enabled ssh on the switch.

So make sure that there is nothing blocking the telnet or ssh port. Can you telnet / ssh into the switch from the workstation where FM Client is installed? If you have seperate FM Server & Client installs, it does it from the workstation with FM Client, not FM Server.

Also, check there is no user permission issue on that switch. Although that error doesn't sound like a permission error.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5989/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a008066a55e.html#wp963990

In order for Fabric Manager to successfully issue the show tech support command on a switch, that switch must have this user name and password. Fabric Manager is unable to log into a switch that does not have a user name and password and an error is returned for that switch.

February 15th, 2007 14:00

That was it, thx. We don't allow telnet. There is a preferences menu under File that lets you specify to use ssh. That fixed it.
No Events found!