Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 4th, 2013 11:00

smart zoning on cisco

Anybody uses smart zoning on cisco fabrics ? (new since 5.2.6)

Supposedly smart zones can have multiple initiators in a zone, but communication is only allowed initiator to target :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps6409/ps5987/at_a_glance_c45-708533.pdf

or this blog :

Smart Zoning and UCS for ISR

Is it a good idea to replace the multiple single-initiator-single-target zones we have to deal with now,  with one smart smart zone ?

467 Posts

March 6th, 2013 19:00

We were using traditional single initiator signal target zoning prior to enabling Smart Zoning. My steps were something like:

1. Enable Smart Zoning on the VSAN I was using: zone smart-zoning enable vsan
  2. Next I wanted to make sure all my traditional zoning didn't have any problems,  which i'm not sure was needed but I was being ultra cautious. So I had to disable Smart Zoning on each zone separately, but I automated it.  You diable it by going into the zone (zone name vsan ) and doing "no attribute disable-smart-zoning".
  3. Next I picked some test zones to convert to Smart Zones,  I picked traditional zones and didn't add members - I just wanted to validate my zones actually worked as Smart Zones.  So I just re-enabeld the zone for Smart Zone.
  4. Next I needed to modify the selected zones to identify each members as either an initiator or target.  Cisco providers a conversion for the zone: "zone convert smart-zoning zone name vsan ".
  5. After some testing I decided to make a new Smart Zone for one of my clusters. I thought about converting an existing zone and adding the member,  but I wanted to differentiate zones via naming convention. I'm big into aliases,  so I made my zone:
    • conf t
    • zone name zSC_ESXGeneral_3e1
    • member device-alias vmax_3e1_devalias target
    • member device-alias esxhost1 init
    • member device-alias esxhost2 init
    • member device-alias esxhost2 init
  6. Added it to the Zoneset, removed the other zone from the Zoneset, and activated and distributed.
  7. Verified the hosts still had the access needed.

It was pretty easy,  and zoning is now so much easier.  I just add a member to existing zones. I don't see a whole lot of information on Smart Zoning on the web,  I guess i'll have to write a blog post...

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 8th, 2013 14:00

thank you Mark, i found this glossy online but it does not go into a lot of details

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/ps4159/ps6409/ps5987/at_a_glance_c45-708533.pdf

one thing that caught my eye was requirements for "Smart zoning cannot be enabled if the fabric contains third-party switches". I know you have HP Flex modules, they are running in AG mode essentially ? I have some MDS 9124e in NPV mode and Brocade 4024 in AG mode (all are embedded into HP C-Class enclosures) connected to my MDS 9513s. Not sure if NPV/AG mode disqualifies them, do you know ?

467 Posts

March 11th, 2013 04:00

I'm not sure about AG mode as i'm not a McBroData guy - however with the HP Flex modules they switch is not aware of them at all so they are not joined to the fabric and we have no problems. I can reach out to my Cisco guy for you if you like..

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

March 11th, 2013 14:00

if you can ask your Cisco contact it would be awesome, i asked mine and so far he has not provided any definitive answers.

467 Posts

March 12th, 2013 11:00

My Cisco rep replied saying all switches in the fabric must support smart zoning, but since npiv/access gateway is pass-through from the edge and all fabric is done at the core, it means smart zoning doesn't get to the edge and you sohuld be good to go..

114 Posts

May 20th, 2014 14:00

One thing I am still confused about : If I currently have single-initiator-single-target zones - do I still have to convert them to smart zones ?

I'm only planning to create large zones with multiply tergets/initiators for my ESX cluster. Is it all or nothing or I can have both "traditional" and smart zones active at the same time ?

1 Rookie

• 

20.4K Posts

May 20th, 2014 15:00

Burhan,

traditional and smart zones can happily co-exist in the same zoneset. I enabled smart zoning on an existing VSAN/zoneset where i had ~500 traditional zones, i had the option to leave them alone but i gave a task to one of my co-worker to convert traditional zones to smart zones (it was an online process, just tedious because of change control).

467 Posts

May 21st, 2014 21:00

They can totally co-exist like dynamox mentioned.  You can do what I do if you want to merge everything,  I have a script that queries the FSCN for an initiator.  For each initiator it does a "show zone member pwwn ".  It then spits out a new merged Smart Zone.

It's great if you're looking to do a massive merge. 

Check it out if you're interested.  http://blog.virtualstoragezone.com/converting-traditional-zoning-cisco-smart-zoning/

No Events found!