Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2007 13:00

upgrade path help needed

newbie to emc, I have an old 9216i that is running 2.1(1a). Some code upgrade questions.

1. cisco page says to make sure code is supported, how can I determine what code releases emc supports?
2. am I supposed to get code from emc or cisco or does it matter? Is there a emc download site for this code type? Where?
3.. looks like 3.1(2) was released a few days ago on cisco site, is it supported?
4. is there an upgrade procedure quick ref?

Thanks.

February 6th, 2007 12:00

Hello,

Here's the answers to your questions:

1) EMC has our own version of release notes for each SAN-OS that are EMC approved. The approved versions are also listed out on the EMC Support Matrix which is available on Powerlink.

2) All EMC sold MDS switches have their upgrades done by EMC field. EMC field has access to the SAN-OS for the upgrades. EMC customers do not have direct access to the SAN-OS. If the switches came from Cisco or another vendor, you should contact them for the SAN-OS.

3) SAN-OS 3.1(2) is currently being tested by EMC and is not supported at this time.

4) EMC and Cisco both have their own upgrade docs. Cisco's is available on Cisco.com. EMC's doc is available to EMC field support as they are responsible for upgrades. It depends on where the switch was purchased in regards to which procedures should be followed. If they were purchased through EMC, all you need to do is contact your EMC Customer Service Representative and they will handle all the details.

Thank you.

February 7th, 2007 10:00

wow, thanks for the help. Site is hard to navigate, but I think I've found some list of supported software:

powerlink.emc.com:Support/Interoperability.Compatibility.Configuration/Product Information/Supported Releases

Can't find it past there, what's it called in emc? It's called m9200-ek9-kickstart-mz.3.1.2 at the cisco web site. Maybe this is the wrong place, nothing about connectrix here. The upgrade by EMC field is a shocker. I can't upgrade my own code? It's been awhile since I've heard of such an approach.

February 9th, 2007 13:00

EMC handling the upgrades to the switches is one of the features that EMC Customer Service provides. All upgrades go through a CCA (Change Control Authorization) process to ensure that all upgrades do not cause any unwanted issues with customers environments. It is very easy to reset a card or an entire switch if you don't carefully check the environment before an upgrade. EMC also carefully tests each Cisco SAN-OS release before we approve it for use. We add another level of assurance to the code. That's why customers normally don't do their own upgrades on their switches they purchased through EMC as there are limited releases that EMC approved and all upgrades have to go through change control.

If there is a reason why you need to or want to do your own upgrades, you can contact your local EMC Service Representative and discuss it with them. It isn't an EMC recommended procedure to do your own upgrades though.

If you are looking for the SAN-OS out on Powerlink you won't find it there. It is only available at an internal EMC Customer Service site. Your local EMC Customer Service representative will have access to it though.

Thank you.
No Events found!