Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 29th, 2016 10:00

2nd return refused!

I am a 20+ year Dell purchaser and retired programmer on a limited budget.

I recently purchased an Inspiron 15 7000 (7559) Laptop and had to return it because the Windows 10 MAP program would not follow me while driving... the support and Concierge concluded that the GPS chip must be bad - 1st machine exchanged

2nd machine - MAP program again fails to follow and give directions while driving - Concierge dug deeper and informed me that this machine does NOT actually have a GPS chip but has a Microsoft Simulated GPS driver.  That once disconnected from the internet all navigational functions cease to work.

I contacted Dell's Customer Care Dept. to initiate a return for credit so I can purchase a machine that will fulfill my MAP (navigation) requirements.  My request was REFUSED as it was 48 days from the original purchase date.  The Customer Care dept. refuses to authorize a return beyond 45 days.

The supervisor was almost abusive to me and offered me no solution except to contact an *** and file a law suit. 

My contention is that the sales dept. original misunderstood their product and sold me a machine that does not perform the function requested.  They misrepresented the product.

Does anyone know how I can return this machine back and either get my money back or at the very least give me "store credit" so I can purchase another machine that will perform as required?

Any help is appreciated.

Phill

9.4K Posts

June 30th, 2016 12:00

Hi squiredude,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies for the confusion surrounding the return policy, but returns must be made within 30 days of invoice.  Here is a link to Dell's Return Policies.

In regards to your mapping program, virtually no laptops come with GPS receivers built in. Probably because you would not normally place them where they could receive a good signal. Hard to sell a device with a service which you couldn't guarantee would be reliable.  Additionally, most laptops rely on internet signals rather than cell phone signals, which is why tablets and phones are more suited to mobile mapping programs.

I have not yet heard a user say that he/she was impressed with the performance of a GPS receiver built into a laptop. In comparison to an external GPS receiver, an integrated one will most likely disappoint. Unless the laptop (or another device) can accept an external antenna. But in such case you may as well buy your external GPS receiver anyway.

The issue is the small size of the antenna used, and also the position of the antenna, within the device (laptop, phone, etc). When it comes to GPS, the larger antenna the better, but there just isn't enough space for large antenna in a small mobile device, is there?
Hope this information is helpful.
Regards,
Robert

20 Posts

June 30th, 2016 14:00

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the explanation on GPS functionality etc.  And  lot of what you say I know and understand.  I had to use an external antenna on my boat to get better reception.  But that can be added vis USB port.

My issue has been that I purchased the laptop with the GPS requirement.  It was unfortunately miss understood by the sales person that a Microsoft Simulated GPS was not in actual fact a true GPS.  I have no problem with that mistake.  But an exchange was accepted by Dell within the 30 days (by the way Customer Care says 45 days) that I had to wait for 3 weeks to receive for the GPS failure issue.  As soon as I got the 2nd machine I started testing it... it of course failed.  The 3 week wait for the 2nd machine was not taken into account by Customer Care just that the total time from original order was 48 days and they only authorize for 45 days or less.  If you take the 48 less the 3 week wait for #2 it is well within the 45 day period.

I asked for an RMA# so I could return this unit and work with the sales department and choose a different machine that would provide the functionality, even if I have to add an external antenna sometimes.

I received a phone call from the Concierge Team who are taking a concern over this misunderstanding and have escalated it to a different team who can find a solution, even if it is external!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem and expanding on the GPS antenna issue.  That is helpful.

Phillip J Seaman

9.4K Posts

July 1st, 2016 07:00

Hi Phillip,

Not sure why the rep was figuring from the first system as the clock actually starts from the invoice date of the second system.

Glad you got the issue escalated, let me know if you need additional assistance.

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!