Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2013 01:00

Apathy: Is Dell even trying any more?

I own several Dell products including an M14xR2, M17xR2, AuroraR5 and 5 monitors. Count in retired hardware and we easily double those numbers. I have had occasion to call upon technical support several times and in general have been very happy with the results of my interactions. This is the first time I was truly disappointed, please let me tell you why.

The motherboard in my M14xR2 has had to be replaced twice by Dell's warranty service contractors. The work was completed as promised but the reassembly was not satisfactory, causing me to make another warranty call. I explained my issues and was informed that the laptop would need to be shipped and inspected at a Dell service centre, I could expect it back in about 10 business days. Arrangements were made for a box to be sent that I could safely ship it in and I patiently waited five days for the materials, almost half of the promised return date.

This evening I called support for an update, the results of which caused me to write this. I called, got through very quickly and explained my situation. The support rep asked me to hold while he checked on the issue and returned shortly. The shipment had indeed arrived, at the wrong address. When confronted with this major delay the tech immediately blamed it on the delivery company and asserted that there was nothing he could do. I then suggested that I had confirmed the shipping address during my last support call and any error after the fact should be Dell's responsibility. I was informed again that it was the shipper's fault, they would have to start the process over again and that I would just have to accept the delay. I eventually escalated the issue to a supervisor and reached a resolution that was improved yet still unsatisfactory to me.

I was promised that the issue would be "looked in to", apologized to for the shipper making a mistake and assured everything possible would be done to resolve my warranty issues. My service contract is with Dell, who they use to execute it is their decision no matter the result. At the end of the day one thing disappointed me most. Laying blame at the feet of others and denying involvement in a situation that you are ultimately responsible for is a poor practice and something I didn't ever expect to hear at Dell.

7 Posts

September 7th, 2013 15:00

Dell isn't lying.  It is the shipper.  I had the same problem over the December Holiday Season.  

Ya gotta remember:  Freight employees take vacation at the end of the summer, especially around Labor Day. The shipping company was either short-staffed and had to hire temps or they had new hires.  

This is why Fed Ex, UPS, US Post Office keep telling everyone to mail out ahead of holidays and should someone call them, they will give anticipated delivery for the day the letter or package is brought in  That's what they told Dell.  

Your complaint should also go to the delivery service.  Dell isn't set-up to do its own delivery - their focus is electronics, not national and international mail.

Shipping mess-ups are the new hazards of every day living.   Sometimes there are no magic wands to wave, especially when one lives in a different state.

No Events found!