Highlighted
jimmycho
1 Copper

[Be Aware] Do not purchase dell with debit card.

I enjoy using Dell products. Many of them are a delight to use. 

However, I recently purchased a product with a debit card for $509 which is not a small amount of money for me. 

The order got canceled from Dell. This I don't mind since they'll probably have their reasons. But the $509 was checked out and never got refunded. This was in November! Almost a month ago!!!! 

I obviously tried different ways to get my money back. I contacted Dell customer service many many times. They usually transfer me to different departments back and forth multiple times until I get the answer to complain it to the bank. After the many phone calls, I still haven't got an answer on when the refund will be made or even an apology.

I also contacted my bank and filed in a formal complaint as well. However, the bank tells me there's nothing being done from Dell's side. I'm out $500 for nearly a month and still no sign of refund kicking in. 

Does anyone have a similar situation? How do you resolve such an issue?

Please let me know

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Mary G
6 Indium

Re: [Be Aware] Do not purchase dell with debit card.

It should be well known that debit cards should never be used online. Debit cards are like cash not like credit cards which have safeguards and time delays to catch mistakes before going through the credit card acct. Debit cards should always be used in person. Dell should refund the money after 30 days or so have passed. That's another reason not to use debit cards online. Lots of fraud with debit cards and stolen debit card numbers so there are procedures for refunds that take time. 

0 Kudos
jimmycho
1 Copper

Is this the response?? really??!!!!

"It should be well known that debit cards should never be used online."

Is this the response I should get for being a Dell customer using a debit card?

I'm not at a situation to use credit cards so I use a debit card to shop. You said it as if it's a rule of thumb that people should never use debit cards online. I pleasantly shop at many reputable online stores with my debit card. I've purchased great products at similar online shops like HP or Lenovo as well. If it should be well known that debit cards should never be used, how come many reputable online stores including Dell offer the payment method. I'm extremely offended to have been regarded as if not getting a straight answer from Dell customer care on the refund is somehow my fault for stupidly being a customer using a debit card.

All I wanted from this community is to talk to some people who had a similar issue and get some clarity on how I can approach the Dell support since I cannot seem to get a straight answer from them. I know 'Mary G' will probably not be associated with Dell but judging by the fact that Mary G posted 16000 posts on Dell community, I think it is safe to say at many times Mary G does embody much of what Dell is about. I feel there's seriously something that needs to be done on how customers are treated.

0 Kudos
nyc10036
3 Zinc

@jimmycho wrote:

Is this the response?? really??!!!!

"It should be well known that debit cards should never be used online."

Is this the response I should get for being a Dell customer using a debit card?

I'm not at a situation to use credit cards so I use a debit card to shop. You said it as if it's a rule of thumb that people should never use debit cards online. I pleasantly shop at many reputable online stores with my debit card. I've purchased great products at similar online shops like HP or Lenovo as well. If it should be well known that debit cards should never be used, how come many reputable online stores including Dell offer the payment method. I'm extremely offended to have been regarded as if not getting a straight answer from Dell customer care on the refund is somehow my fault for stupidly being a customer using a debit card.

All I wanted from this community is to talk to some people who had a similar issue and get some clarity on how I can approach the Dell support since I cannot seem to get a straight answer from them. I know 'Mary G' will probably not be associated with Dell but judging by the fact that Mary G posted 16000 posts on Dell community, I think it is safe to say at many times Mary G does embody much of what Dell is about. I feel there's seriously something that needs to be done on how customers are treated.

I always use credit cards because of the consumer protection that they have by law.

0 Kudos