Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2015 11:00

CUSTOMER CARE SCAM

Like the previous posters I too had same experience. Caller identified himself as a Dell Customer Care service rep reporting presence of malicious software embedded in my laptop and wanted me to follow directions to "check this issue out." Long story short, they get you to open DOS directories revealing "problems." Once convincing you of problems they offer a subscription service to debug your system. I finally caught on to the scam the second time -- after I allowed them to go into my system. Luckily I terminated their debug effort when I became suspicious.

Dell should publish some kind of notice because the caller had my name, service tag and serial numbers of my laptop that almost convinced me it was a trusted source. Took me awhile to remove bugs. This is serious matter when scammer has so much private information. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2015 15:00

Hi fl1946,

Thank you for posting your concerns on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. We have been advising our customers proactively regarding the Technical Support Scam Calls through our Wiki located here.

I am contacting you via email to obtain more detailed information concerning the incident you recently reported to us regarding being contacted by someone fraudulently claiming to be a Dell representative.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to provide the requested information via email in order to further investigate these 3rd party entities.

Thank you for participating in the questionnaire. We genuinely appreciate your assistance in helping us determine who is contacting our customers so we can prevent this from occurring in the future.

Thanks again,

Lorna

No Events found!