mengyang
Not applicable

Dell Sent Me a $3500 Defective Alienware 17 and REFUSES to Return it

I bought an Alienware 17 R3 at the end of June and received it around July 10th. But because I was extremely busy in July (taking three courses this summer and my landlord was selling where I used to live so I had to house hunting and move etc.), I didnt use the laptop much. But it kept giving me blue screens almost every single day since I started to use it. I didnt expect this new laptop was defective and thought it was just some sort of software issues and could be fixed once I ran the Dell System Test because unlike the "traditional blue screen" where the computer totally freeze and you can only press the power button, the "blue screen" Alienware gives says "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart etc.". And other than that the laptop was working fine except gets really hot sometimes (but everybody knows it's normal for Alienwares...)

The laptop became laggy last week so I downloaded the Dell System Test and tried to fix the problem myself. Before I ran the software, there's no message or warning says if you doubt there's problem with your hard drive you should NOT run it, so I ran it, and then the  primary hard drive just died and I lost all my work, study and research materials...

And yes I did not back up, I mean, I havent get a chance to ran any big games on it and I only used it at home, if it was you, would you expect a hard drive failure all in a sudden for such an expensive laptop you purchased not long ago? So I contacted Dell the 2nd day, I told them this laptop is so obviously faulty at the first place and I hope they can fix the laptop and recover my data; - basically correcting their own mistakes. Reasonable request? At least I believe so. But Dell told me they can only replace the dead hard drive for me and although there are ways to recover data from a dead hard drive they will NOT  help me on that. But I can go find a 3rd party to recover it and pay for all the costs myself. EXCUSE ME? Because of the poor quality of your product, I have wasted so much time on trying to fix the problem. Now I'm simply asking you to recover the data lost because of your poor quality control and you refused it??? Then I got really disappointed with Dell and just want to get rid of this company so I asked them to just return this defective laptop for me. They said no as well because it has passed 30 days. I mean, if I changed my mind and dont like this laptop anymore after 30 days, Dell can of course refuse to return it for me. But they are the one that made the mistake and sent me a defective since the very beginning and arent even willing to correct their mistakes. If it was you, would you still wanna deal with this kind of company, product and customer service? Probably not, right?

Dell called me again today and said my only option is to let them replace the hard drive as part of the agreement in the warranty. Data lost? Not their business. Returning the laptop? Nope, they'll keep my money and make me keep dealing with this defective. 

In conclusion,to all Dell and Alienware customers or potential customers, if you have not made the purchase, good for you. Go check other brands with better quality and POST-sale services and do NOT trust this brand. I paid $3500 and all I got is a defective laptop which lost all my work, study and research materials for this summer. And Dell acts like I deserve it simply because I trusted the brand and did not return it asap!

1 Reply
Dell-Lorna M

RE: Dell Sent Me a $3500 Defective Alienware 17 and REFUSES to Return it

Hi DellSentMeDefective,

Thank you for posting your comments on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. We appreciate anyone who takes the time to share their customer experience. This will advise I support US consumer customers with their customer care issues and I am unable to troubleshoot your system or offer any technical support. 

All orders are subject to Dell’s Term and Conditions, which are included with the email order confirmation, directly under the order details: Important Things to Know:  Please save this Order Confirmed email. Your order is subject to Dell's Terms and Conditions of Sale which includes a binding arbitration provision. By accepting delivery of the Product, you accept and are bound to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If you do not wish to be bound by this Agreement, you must notify Dell and return your purchase pursuant to Dell's Return Policy

The return period for all devices purchased in the US is 30 days from invoice. Dell uses the shipping (invoice) date as the reference point for when the 30 day return period and the system’s warranty period begin. If you decide something isn’t for you, just ship it back within 30 days of your invoice date for a full refund, including free return shipping. We understand that many customers may be unable to evaluate their purchases immediately upon receipt.  However, we believe that 30 days is a reasonable period for such an assessment. Once an order has been out of Dell's possession for more than 30 days, the sale is considered final. 

Support Services typically provide technical support and instructions on how to request a repair or replacement for certain Dell products due to defects in materials or workmanship. U.S. and Canadian customers may review the Dell Limited Hardware Warranty. If Dell determines that your issue is the result of a defect in materials or workmanship but the issue is not able to be resolved remotely, Dell, at its sole discretion, may dispatch a replacement part to you. Dell is not responsible for the loss of any confidential, proprietary or personal information, or corrupted data. 

I trust this information is helpful. Should you still need technical assistance, please feel free to post your comments on the Dell Community Forum Alienware Club

Thanks,
Lorna

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell