Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2016 11:00

Dell steal my 1400 gift card when consolidating them.

Ok, my experience was pretty similar to what happened to one of the post a few month ago.  I was trying to consolidate my gift cards together, so I called the 1-800 number and gave my gift card number to one of he rep. The rep actually asked the pin code of my gift cards, I told him that you don't need pin to consolidate my gift cards because I have done this before. He agreed and claim that I would receive email for consolidation within 3 business day.

One week later, I called dell again because I didn't receive any email and my gift card became invalid number when I was trying to check balance.one rep asked my reference number and told me that I need to send a picture of my driver license to dell to verify my identity, and I would hear back from them within 3 business days after the submission.

One more week later, I called them again to follow up with my gift card consolidation. I talked with a couple reps, they told me that my reference number is incorrect. They also try to check my case on my email and address. Nothing was found.  From there, they are basically transferring me to different departments without any help. I spent a couple hours on the phone with them, but no one really try to solve this issue.

Be careful when you are try to consolidate gift cards, they may steal.

For sure, I will with them.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2016 16:00

Short Version

I am facing the same exact problem. Two of the three gift cards ($100 each) I asked Dell to consolidate into the third one are now showing as invalid! The third one still only has the original amount. Its been 12 days so far struggling with the customer care and I am now on the cusp of finally writing a letter to the executive team. The customer care system is really messed up with regards to the e-gift cards. You cannot reach the 'gift card' team directly, only through the customer care representatives, who file the request on your behalf on an 'online system'.

The gift card team can reply with whatever they like and you can ask the CSR to appeal for you. Each iteration takes 3-5 business days. Its nuts, really nuts !!

Long Version

I am facing the exact same problem. I got 3 100$ e-gift cards in exchange for reward points from my company 10/26/16 and asked Dell to consolidate them into one single card the next day. Not promotional cards - purchased gift cards with no expiry.

When I filed for the consolidation request, they gave me a 3-5 business day timeline to fulfill my request, which to me sounded absurd. Why would it take 3-5 business to combine 3 e-gift cards into one single one? Later in the day, I figured that I did not want to wait 3-5 days for the consolidation and ordered the laptop I wanted (Order number 152732920, Dell XPS 13) with 2 of the 3 gift cards (can only use 2 gift cards and a credit card) thinking I will use the third gift card somewhere else. To my surprise, I found that my order was cancelled the next day with no explanation.

To my further surprise, I found that the two of the three gift cards started showing as invalid and the one still active showed $100 (as was the initial amount) and not the $300 I was expecting after consolidation.

For the sake of clarity, let’s label the gift cards as A,B and C. I asked them to consolidate B,C into A. For the order, I used A and B. The ones which now show as invalid as B,C.

I have been calling Dell regularly, spending an hour on average on each phone call to get this issue sorted out. Each time I am told that it will be resolved in 1-2 days but when I call them back for an update, they inform me that the gift card team keeps telling them that the gift card numbers are invalid, which is when I start beating my head against the wall.

After an escalation of my case, I am finally told today that there is a suspected fraud alert on my cards and they will have to investigate this issue further.

In Dell CSRs' defense, I think that they are trying hard themselves to get the issue sorted out but even they are hitting a wall with the 'gift card team'. They only have a 'online form' at their disposal that they can fill out and they 'wait' for a response. We (I and the poor Dell CSR who face all the customer anger) are completely at the mercy of the Dell's internal complaint filing system where things often work like a black box.  

Its been 12 days so far for me struggling with them, all I was trying to do was buy a laptop with the gift cards. Not only have I not received my laptop, I have also lost $200 in gift card money that I have very little hope of recovering.

Oh well, $200 wont break my back, but I have learnt my lesson. As I think about it, I would have felt less hurt if I had lost money from my credit card instead of the exchanged reward points. The reward points I used had much more emotional value for me: I got them from my company for working my *** off on a project.

2 Posts

November 11th, 2016 12:00

how long does it take?

3 Posts

November 11th, 2016 12:00

UPDATE: 

The issue has finally been resolved ! A manager at Dell Customer Care, named Mateen, took the case and called me to apologize and promised that he will take care of it. He interfaced with the gift card team and managed to get the money in the invalid cards refunded and consolidated the cards together. It did take him 2-3 days but he got it resolved. 

Guys, please try and avoid using gift cards. If you cant, please avoid consolidating them. If you do end up consolidating them, muster up some extra patience do not place an order while the consolidation is under request. And .... if you still end up doing it, you will likely end up having a similar issue as I did.

In that case, I recommend you ask for Mateen on the customer care floor to help you out. He understands this issue well and is very helpful. If you dont get to Mateen, make sure the CSR understands your issue very very well and communicates it correctly to the gift card team. If there is any miscommunication, the process will probably break down and they will reply back saying that they can't reference the gift cards as they are invalid, or something like that. 

Overall, I still think that Dell should streamline this process and make it automated without the need to spend money on humans sorting this out, leave apart the customer frustration ... 

On what not to avoid - the Dell XPS 13 - freaking good laptop (my roommate has it), the laptop that I have been trying to buy all along with the gift cards. 

No Events found!