Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2013 11:00

Extremely disappointed with Dell policy concerning virus removal

:emotion-45:  :emotion-6:

My mother's Dell computer that she had recently bought had been hacked by a scam artist who called her cell phone number and convinced her that she needed him to let him get on her computer and fix it for her.  She didn't know not to let him.  He then got on to her computer without her giving him and numbers and messed with it and then convinced her to pay him $40 with her debit card.  The next day she told me what she had done and I was horrified.  I helped her to get her money back and then called Dell for help.  AFTER their Tech support had spent a half an hour or so remotely working on her computer they then informed us that in order to take all of the bad files off she would have to pay them $129.99.  I told them that was unacceptable and that they had wasted my time by not informing me FIRST that they were going to try to make us pay through the nose for helping us. My husband then came over and fixed everything for her with NO problem the next day.  He changed her router number and we loaded Avast and ran a scan.  Her computer is now running fine and it was and EASY fix. It seemed that they were trying to get an inordinate amount of money from us dishonestly.  I no longer have any respect for them.

8.8K Posts

April 21st, 2013 13:00

rosie777,

Let me refer you to a free site that does nothing but remove malware from people's system.

You can ask in your subject for Bugbatter to handle it and tell her I refereed you.  She was my teacher when I learned malware removal and is the best at what she does.

The site is www.spywarehammer.com.

All you have to do and register and find the section about Malware and there will be directions.

Most likely they can fix this for you..

Zb1

8.8K Posts

April 21st, 2013 19:00

Thank You.  :emotion-52:

You're very welcome... they'll take care of it.

Zb1

4.4K Posts

April 20th, 2013 00:00

Hi Rosie,

The system default warranty which is 1yr hardware warranty does not cover support for virus removals or help with 3rd party software issues.

To make sure you don't get charged every time you need such help you can  subscribe for Dell Tech Concierge service.

For more information on Dell Tech Concierge refer to this link: http://dell.to/179vkPt

Thank You

4 Posts

April 20th, 2013 01:00

I/We will not subscribe or pay your so called Tech Support anything.  As I indicated in my previous post my husband was able to  fix it with no problem which AGAIN indicates that your Tech Support is nothing but a rip off.

Purposely taking advantage of people like that is pretty tacky. 

I will be thinking more than twice about purchasing anything from your company next time I feel the need for a computer. 

Thanks for nothing. 

4.4K Posts

April 20th, 2013 07:00

Sorry about your experience.

If at all you need any help with your system in near future you can directly message me(click on my user name and click start conversation).

Thank You

4 Posts

April 20th, 2013 21:00

And just how much would you be charging????  Thank you but I think NOT. 

4 Posts

April 21st, 2013 15:00

Thank You.  :emotion-52:

20.5K Posts

April 24th, 2013 12:00

Thank you for the compliment, Zb1. I'm blushing :emotion-10:

Rosie, Dell is a business, so they have employees to pay. SpywareHammer is manned by volunteers who provide a service free of charge. Let me tell you a bit more about the site...

The helpers at SpywareHammer have been trained in malware removal for a year or more, and that training continues daily as new infections are discovered. They will walk you through the diagnostic logs and a cleanup. If you no longer have a malware problem, they will be glad to help you with a follow-up review and make suggestions in order to be sure there are no remaining problems. The staff does not use remote access but will advise you step-by-step on what you can do. Help is free, but you will need to register there and follow the posting instructions.The instructions will inform you of where to download DDS, a diagnostic tool, and how to run a scan so that you can post the output information. Don't forget to check your email and click on the link they send you in order to confirm your registration.

I hope this helps with future issues that you or family members have with systems out of warranty for virus removal.

No Events found!