Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

March 20th, 2018 13:00

Extremely long wait time on purchase

Today I went ahead and purchased the computer I've been debating to get for a long long time now. I purchased the 3rd configuration package when selecting my Aurora purchase. I ended up upgrading the power and liquid cooler from 400w to 800w, GPU from 1070 to 1080ti, SSD&HDD combined package of 125gb ssd/1tb hdd to 250gb ssd/1tb hdd and upgraded stock wireless card to the killer network card. I don't know if any of that information will help with my question but I'm curious why I have to wait such an extremely long time for the product to even ship. Currently with purchasing it today, "March 20th" it says I won't receive my new desktop until around May 20th-27th. I understand it takes Alittle longer to put those upgrades into my PC but my goodness, having to wait 2+ months?!? That's even with the best shipping option I could choose from as well.... Also, I searched every corner of every single page when building the pc all the way up to purchase and I saw ZERO areas saying there would be any kind of delay. I purchased an Alienware aurora a long time ago around 2012 and had the factory upgrade gpu, cpu, ram and wifi and I received the computer almost exactly 2 weeks later, "I remember this because I got the computer 1 day before my birthday and I ordered it with early birthday money from grandparents". Am I overreacting to this shipping time frame? Is this how long it takes on average for Alienware to ship? I'm sure whoever reads this can share the excitement and anticipation of receiving a new, awesome pc as well as share the anxiety that with the time window of shipping being so large that all it does is leave for time for delays due to whatever reason that may be.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this and I look forward to your response :)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2018 13:00

Sounds like a nice config.

Props to wisely getting the 850w PowerSupply and the Liquid-Cooler for CPU.

It's usually only one part that does that. If I had to guess, I would say it's the GTX-1080ti that is delaying your order (those are in high-demand these days).  

EDIT: Reportedly, if you call Dell, they might be able to tell you which part is holding-up the build.

3 Posts

March 20th, 2018 20:00

Do you know if there's any way for me to check if that's what's causing such a long wait time? Am I better off just contacting a service tech to hopefully try and derive an honest answer? This 2 month wait is going to kill me ... 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 20th, 2018 21:00

@rianarowrote:

Do you know if there's any way for me to check if that's what's causing such a long wait time? Am I better off just contacting a service tech to hopefully try and derive an honest answer? This 2 month wait is going to kill me ... 

You have to call Alienware on the phone. Tell them what you want to know, and they should route you to the proper department. 

3 Posts

March 21st, 2018 16:00

I called and was routed to 3 different techs just for the 3rd tech to say there's no delay and that it can take up to 3 months for my pc to be built, even after I told them my previous aurora came in a fraction of the time..... Sigh..... I'm already neurotic as is and now I'm going to have negative thoughts in my head of something going wrong with my purchase :(
Thanks for your reply and time responding back.

28 Posts

June 13th, 2018 16:00

I ordered the Area 51 Threadripper R6 with all of the most expensive options on May 5th. After 1.5 weeks, well after it was supposed to be delivered, I called and was told that I had to re-order because the chassis was incorrect. The chassis was not an option to begin with. So I complied and re-selected the exact same system and options. Subsequently the system was delayed 4 times since the re-order. I finally got and cancelled the order. I then ordered and selected the Area 51 R5, i9 7980XE version yesterday (12 Jun), a more powerful CPU and what I really wanted anyway. I was promised it will be delivered on the 18th because they have all of the parts needed on-hand to build it. Now, I just hope they deliver as promised. I’ve had XPS/Alienware systems for the last 15+ years and have never had this happen.

11 Posts

October 5th, 2018 07:00

It sure would be nice if you people would come back to the threads you start and let us know the final outcome. Like when it finally went to shipping and how long it took after that, and what part of the world, or what state in the US or Canada you reside in. Would be much more helpful than crickets chirping.

No Events found!