Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2016 01:00

False 'Touch Screen'

Wow, I am actually amazed that Dell can get away with this. I just went back and looked at all the advertisements, and they make the biggest deal about my new computer having a 'on-cell touch display'. Sound fancy? Well, guess what, the computer itself doesn't even come with a touch screen at all! The computer I ordered two weeks ago, and just arrived today, was falsely advertised as having a touch screen. That was part of the reason I ordered this Dell Inspiron 15 3000 anyway, it was the only reasonably priced laptops with a touch screen. Or so I thought. When it arrived today (2 days late), I opened it up, and looked at the screen. It looks nothing like a touch screen! I turned it on, and tried, it didn't work. And I looked around in the settings a lot, and found that it has all the necessary drivers and software, just no touch screen. I am very annoyed, not just because it didn't come with one, but because, that was their biggest advert for this computer. "I comes equipped with a on-cell touch screen" I bought this computer as a replacement for a computer that I had, with a touch screen, that broke and I was paying good money for the fact that it had a touch screen, considering the fact that there was a non touch version for 100 dollars less. And you guys can check out the deal! Seems pretty good, don't you think?www.dell.com/.../pd

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 17th, 2016 09:00

Unfortunately, your only recourse is to return the laptop for refund and order one of the Touch offerings.

On that sales page, you had to click on the button "View all configurations" right of "Tech Specs Inspiron 15 3000 Touch (AMD)"

to see that this model was offered with two Non-Touch and two Touch configurations.

Notice that the $249.99 and $299.99 do not offer Touch =

While the $349.99 and $399.99 do offer Touch =

6 Posts

September 17th, 2016 23:00

I got the $349 one, and it doesn't come with a touch screen.  And  will not send it back because I need a computer, and it already took them WAY to long to deliver the first one. I am very very displeased at DELL and their terrible, dirty trick. I'm pretty sure that what they did is actually fraud or false advertizing

6 Posts

September 17th, 2016 23:00

Actually, no, i'm wrong, because I ordered the $399 version. That makes me fell even more inclined to send hate mail, and discourage people from buying DELL products! 

2.3K Posts

September 18th, 2016 11:00

EDIT: If you purchased premium support you could get onsite service to replace the screen?

2.3K Posts

September 18th, 2016 11:00

Is the panel glossy or matte?  If its glossy then the touch screen isn't turned on or isn't working.  If its matte then they put the wrong screen in.  

6 Posts

September 18th, 2016 12:00

How Do You Tell Whether the screen is glossy or matte?

And If it is glossy, how do i turn it on?

6 Posts

September 18th, 2016 12:00

Should the screen be rigid? Because it's very bendable. If you have any answers, pls reply, i'm kinda desperate-ish

2.3K Posts

September 18th, 2016 14:00

A matte screen when it is off will not reflect much of anything, but a glossy screen when on or off will reflect you and what is behind you.  As for turning it on and off, I'm not aware of anyway to turn it off let alone on, so if its glossy (meaning touch), it should be always on.  There maybe a way to disable the touchscreen that was done accidentally.  

This is what I got from the web to disable it, reverse it to enable it: Disable Touch Screen in Windows. From the WinX Menu, open Device Manager and search for Human Interface Devices. Expand it. Then, right-click on HID-compliant touch screen and from the list of options displayed, select 'Disable'.

WinX menu being right click on the windows logo at the desktop, select device manager.

6 Posts

September 18th, 2016 16:00

Thanks Beamer, but I think the problem is that, at least for me, all the troubleshooting sites are meant for intel processors, but my computer has an AMD processor. I have done multiple web-searches, all of them coming up with the same information, but my computer doesn't have any of the check boxes and stuff. Also, my screen is definitely glossy.

No Events found!