Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2015 08:00

Gift Card Consolidation - I am frustrated beyond belief and have been unable to get this resolved, need HELP

I have spent literally 4 hours over the past three days trying to get this resolved through Dell "customer phone support".  It's been the most frustrating experience I've ever had.

I have 4 $100 Dell eGift cards (purchased, not promo) that I got through my employer's rewards program.  They were issued from Dell's third party vendor.  Little did I know when I got these that I could only use 2 at a time.  I need these consolidated into a single $400 card so I can make a large purchase.  I contacted Dell's giftcard issuer and they said that Dell needs to do this.

I have called at least 8 times and have spent hours on the phone talking to people that want me to sign up for financing, telling me the cards can't be consolidated, that they CAN be consolidated that it will take up to 30 days, dropped calls after on hold for a hour, rude CSRs, people that can't understand me, people that *I* cannot understand.  

I bought these cards so I could take advantage of a black friday sale.  Then a cyber monday sale.  I've missed both.

I desperately need someone at Dell to help me with this.  I'm stuck with gift cards I can't use for the purchase I want to make.  

2.3K Posts

December 1st, 2015 13:00

Not sure what number(s) you tried to call, however this link may help: http://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/19/campaigns/gift-card-consolidation-popup-us

If not or you have 'been there done that', hopefully Dell-Lorna or Dell-Robert can help you too, if available. 

17 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 11:00

No big surprise but nobody from Dell has responded to this post.  Thank you for your helpful suggestion and I have already done that.  I called that in on the 30th and no response from dell yet (again no surprise). 

135 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 11:00

This is an unfortunate game that Dell plays with many gift certificates and reward cards.

Not only is it difficult to combine them (if possible at all) but they often must be used in full (must spend over the amount of the card) and many expire in just 90 days.

It is impossible to think that this is not by design.  However it is surprising that a large corporation chooses to use these tactics to extract money from individual consumers.

17 Posts

December 3rd, 2015 13:00

They won't be getting of my money in the future.  This is beyond ridiculous.

17 Posts

December 7th, 2015 09:00

Just an update.  I called Thursday and was told the request was rejected because one of the card numbers entered was invalid.  The rep entered the number wrong.  New request was submitted.  Got dell chat online after waiting for 2 hrs for a chat rep.  They said it was rejected, another wrong number was entered, and that it would be complete in 24 hrs.

Of course it wasn't done, waited another 2+ hrs in chat today, rep said it was again rejected due to data entry error, took another request and told me it can take up to 5 days to complete.

I honestly cannot believe a company the size of Dell has such poor support.  I wish I knew how to reach one of their executives to share this awful experience.

135 Posts

December 8th, 2015 05:00

Captnroger,

It seems hard to believe that all of these "mistakes" are unintentional.

The forum limits/censors what can be stated here regarding remedies that you may wish to peruse but I will try to make few suggestions that I believe conform to their rules.

There is a agency that is intended yo make business behave better where you can report your experience and hopefully get a response from Dell (but it is slow).

You could try to email management at Dell or Michael Dell himself.  Email addresses can not be posted here but if you google "Dell email addresses consumerist" you will probably find them.

Your state has an agency that protects consumer rights and would likely want to know about your experience.

Sorry that I can not be more helpful but since this is Dell's forum and the make up the rules, and they obviously care more about them selves than you or I it is the best I can offer.

Good luck.

17 Posts

December 8th, 2015 07:00

Thank you Cathaleen, I notice you post here quite a bit and have had your own bad experiences with Dell.  I have contacted the company that issued the cards and have requested a refund, not that I expect to receive it.  I absolutely have no desire to do any business with Dell whatsoever based on this frustrating experience.  

I find it very ironic that they have 'customer support forums' that are user to user only.  This board is littered with complaints about Dell, and it's clear they could care less about a good customer experience.  I have never deal with Dell although I have used their products for years.  I guess you have to be a large corporation to deal with anyone in the US directly.

What's most sad is all of this was intended to pay for a Christmas gift for my son, and now I'm going to have to come up with the money another way.

1 Message

December 27th, 2015 10:00

Question...what chat did you enter?  I haven't even been able to get a rep to chat.

Thank!

No Events found!