Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 31st, 2014 13:00

Hard Drive Warranty Question

Hello,

New to the forum here, but I need some clarification from a Dell rep on this forum.  

I recently purchased a new 2 in 1 Inspiron 13 7347 and I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to a SSD.  The sales rep at Microcenter told me to verify if it would void the warranty before installing, so I called the help line.  I was told that if I bought the SSD from Dell, and installed it myself (there are published instructions for this on this website) it wouldn't void the warranty.  If I did install a SSD not purchased from Dell, it would void the warranty on the entire computer.  This didn't make sense to me, so I ended up talking to a customer service person in the sales department who told me the same thing and quoted an equivalent drive for a whopping $390 (3x what I paid).

I did some searching here and found this post from a couple years ago which uses some common sense that whatever you replace is not covered:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19435880

Can someone with Dell please clarify this?  I understand that if I replace the drive, and the drive fails, it is my responsibility.  But, I don't understand how replacing the hard drive would void the warranty on the remaining parts of the computer (ie the touchscreen).

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 31st, 2014 16:00

* The act of adding a Dell HDD (hard disk drive) does not "by itself" void the originally purchased computer warranty. That HDD has its own 90 day warranty. Dell will not cover any data on that HDD.

* The act of adding a 3rd party HDD does not "by itself" void the originally purchased computer warranty. The HDD manufacturer warranty would cover the HDD, not Dell. Dell will not cover any data on that HDD.

* If you break any Dell hardware (motherboard, sata port, etc.) while installing HDD, this is not covered by your originally purchased computer warranty.

* Dell will not troubleshoot any hardware or software issues while the added HDD is installed.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 1st, 2015 13:00

I replace the SSD and next year the touch screen is acting up, and I call Dell to repair.  They will see I have changed the drive, but did not alter the touch screen. The screen would still be under warranty.

* Correct. We would troubleshoot the touch screen. But, if the laptop were ever sent to the depot for repair, you MUST remove the SSD and replace ours in the laptop before sending the laptop in.

January 1st, 2015 10:00

Thank you Chris for taking the time to answer my question.

If I understand correctly, adding a 3rd party SSD only affects the warranty on the part I am removing.  Clearly, Dell will not warranty anything that did not come with the computer.  If I damage something else while installing the drive, then that damage is my responsibility.

Consider this situation just to be sure I am clear:

**I replace the SSD and next year the touch screen is acting up, and I call Dell to repair.  They will see I have changed the drive, but did not alter the touch screen.  The screen would still be under warranty.

Thanks again.

1 Message

March 10th, 2018 22:00

If a customer pays several hundred dollars extra for pro support and adds a non-Dell SSD drive, do these rules still apply?  Will Dell still refuse to troubleshoot issues?

No Events found!