Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2013 10:00

Horrible Customer Experience!

Dear Dell,

I purchased a new Alienware laptop on July 9th. I had issues with shipping and received it a little late and then after receiving my $1500 laptop, it was freezing up immediately on first use. Dell tech support diagnosed a bad hard drive, and a manager who I was working with on the shipping issue promised me a replacement computer in email and gave me an order # for the replacement. It was in production and then about a week ago that order was cancelled and since then, no one involved in this replacement, will answer any of my inquiries on where my replacement is. I have been charged for the computer and I still do not have a working computer, and it has been just shy of a month!!!! This is horrible and a complete disregard for your customers! I want to know where my replacement computer is, this was promised in writing and I even bought the extra replacement warranty. 

Thanks

Dustin Bowers

2 Posts

August 5th, 2013 16:00

Hello Dustin, my name is Beverly and i am not a Dell employee but i do have a customer service fiasco to add to your complaint.  I'm glad i'm not the only one, not to say i am happy you are having a problem.

So, you paid $1500 for a new computer in early July and now a month later, they have still not provided you with a computer.  If you paid for your computer via credit card, your credit card company should be able to initiate a "dispute" with Dell so you can get a refund and buy something that works.  This is one of the things that i have done to hopefully resolve my problem.  If I were you i'd call your credit card company and tell them you want to dispute the charge to your card.

I am a US citizen living in Mexico and have been a Dell customer since 1981 (mostly living in the US) plus or minus (i can't remember how long exactly).  About 7 years ago, i purchased a Dell computer online with Dell Mexico.  I called their tech support in mid-March 2013 because my computer was having a problem.  The tech told me i needed to purchase a new mother board which in US dollars at the time was a little over $300.  Dell Mexico sent the mother board directly to the technician in the town where i live.  The tech brought the mother board to my house to install it, but first he did some diagnostics.  It appeared that what was wrong with my computer was a poorly seated memory card which he fixed and the computer worked fine.  We hadn't even taken the mother board out of the package.  Separately, we both called Dell Mexico who assured each of us that if the mother board was returned, i would receive a full refund.  This was almost 5 months ago and i have never received a refund.  I called frequently and the customer service people were polite each time, but nothing ever actually got done.  I never received a refund even though Dell did not dispute that they received the returned mother board in good condition.  Now i am at the point where i believe i have been put off and put off and Dell Mexico has no intention of providing a refund.  I think this comes under the heading of "fraud" (i.e. stealing from the customers).  So i've not gotten anywhere with Dell Mexico customer service.  I thought i would write a letter to Dell USA Financial Services office.  Some crazy idea in my head told me that Dell USA would be concerned about this.  Well, silly me, really silly me.  They told me to call Dell Mexico after i had told them that i had called Dell Mexico regularly for almost 5 months and have not received a resolution.

My conclusion is that Dell Mexico is not the only Dell that has a complete customer service disconnect because Dell USA isn't any better.  Now, I am hoping that my credit card bank (voted the best bank in America by Forbes magazine for i don't know how many years) will be able to help me.  Maybe we will hear from other people having difficulty with Dell and collectively get the word out to the "innocents" to try another computer company.

2 Posts

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Well, Aloyka and Dustin I am so sorry for your problems. I know them very, very well.

I bought my Dell 11 months ago, and have had 11 months of sorrow for my decision to do so. I have had SO many problems, and have repeatedly been nice to the people trying to help me. I have spent countless hours of dealing with techs, being "promoted" to the next level for help "beyond their capacity" to repair. It has been an extremely long and frustrating experience. I finally got upset today after 2 hours (yes!) on the phone with no help; this means tears, not yelling. The supervisor laughed at me. I condensed the situation back for him and asked him, "And you're laughing?"  He answered, "Basically, yes.". My situation WOULD be funny were it not so ridiculous. This is why consumers are so litigious these days, not greed as so many believe, but because big companies have lost touch with and stopped caring about their customers. I don't sue, but I understand now why people do. I would give anything to have my money back to buy a real computer. The saddest part about this is that I am a college student, and I desperately need a working computer. The only thing Dell has worked on is a runaround and ridiculous explanations, accomplishing nothing. I have learned one thing for sure these past 3 semesters:  don't ever, ever buy a Dell computer. You would be better off taking a chance with your money in Vegas, and then, of course, you still wouldn't have a working computer. I have one recourse, to tell everyone at the campuses I can influence the same suggestions I have made in this paragraph.

Dell: you should be ashamed! You say on your web site that you "Listen, Learn and Deliver.". You do none of these.

Your appropriate slogan: "Dell Computers: Ruse, Rhetoric, and Rejection!". Now there's a slogan we can pass around for Dell! Someone with a computer bring up Facebook!

2 Posts

August 5th, 2013 17:00

Why does my post appear so poorly spaced? (I fixed it. DELL-Chris M)

2 Posts

August 5th, 2013 22:00

KathyJ, I wonder how many stories are out there similar to ours?  Facebook would be one way to find out, yes?  11 months without a reliable computer can be incredibly stressful for a college student.  If you bought your computer with a credit card, you might contact your credit card company and ask if you can still initiate a claim/dispute against Dell.  I know students have very little time to do this sort of thing but it might be worthwhile.  Really, your experience sounds like such a nightmare over such an outrageously long period of time.  I would put something forward on Facebook, this is such a good idea.  Unfortunately, I do not do Facebook but if you can find someone who can initiate this, you are welcome to use my story as well as your own.  I think we would discover that our situations and Dustin's situation are not so unusual.  I conclude this because the "Customer DIService" people working at Dell have such an "i don't care about your problem" attitude.  I also conclude this because when i first contacted Dell USA after 5 months of getting no results from Dell Mexico, there was some kind of automated acknowledgement from Dell USA indicating that they were experiencing a higher than usual number of phone calls and email it might take them awhile to get back to me.  People don't call and email unless they have problems.  I don't know if you know this, but when Dell started, the company was quickly recognized as the premium in customer service...it those days, it was true.  The company and computer really were excellent.  It is not true anymore, but Dell continues to use the language but can't seem to resolve any problems.  This is what the three of us are experiencing in common; the lack of Dell Services to resolve problems.  In a way, personally i'm glad to have had this experience because i am preparing to purchase another computer and assumed it would be a Dell. Now i KNOW that it most certainly will not be a Dell.  I've heard in the news that the original owner of Dell (Mr. Dell) is buying back his shares and he might be interested to hear about our situations.  I don't think he would be too happy with what's been going on especially if this is as widespread as i suspect it is.  In my experience i think your slogan is accurate (ruse, rhetoric, rejection).

August 6th, 2013 18:00

Hi Dustin,

Thank you for posting in our Community and welcome!

I can see that you have posted in our Facebook page and one of our colleague's updated you yesterday. Did you get his message?

Glad to assist!

No Events found!