Highlighted
bright5park
1 Copper

How to complain to someone in authority

I bought a new XPS 13 in January.  I immediately had problems with wifi and spent several hours having them diagnosed and fixed.  However, the problem returned recently: still more hours - and eventually a technician was sent to replace my wireless card.

On top of that, I wanted to hook up a monitor, ethernet cable and various USB connections and was directed to a third party company who sold me what they called a docking station - worth £55.  This broke down but the company wouldn't replace it until I'd spent about three hours having the system remotely diagnosed by Dell.  Interestingly, the technician who replaced my wireless card said I had the wrong product for my needs.  The dock has now stopped working again and after even more time 'being remotely diagnosed', I'm told that my mother board needs replacing.

All this for a laptop that's six months old.  I feel trapped in the inner circles of **bleep** of endless telephone or chat conversations  and have spent the equivalent of three working days on trying to get my laptop in working order (that's without the disruption to my working schedule).  I'm self-employed in professional services.  My hourly rate means I could have bought two new laptops if I'd been paid for the time I've been in time-wasting telephone conversations (three or four hours before they'd replace a product worth £55.  Really!).

I don't feel that I  have anyone (a named person would be great) who'll take ownership for rectifying the problems and expressing some concern about the disruption they have caused.

I've been a Dell customer for 20 years: after my first very primitive computer, every system I've bought has been a Dell.  I renew my computer every three or four years.  That's it.  Sorry Dell … your customer service is rubbish.

Al

2 Replies
Highlighted
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: How to complain to someone in authority

Dell is not responsible for time lost when the system goes down, unless you purchased a time-sensitive (next-day or same-day) onsite service plan.  If you did, and they're not complying with the terms, there's a contact link below you can use.

The only hardware failure here seems to be the system board - and Dell will generally not replace a system until three unsuccessful repair attempts have been made for the same failure.

Highlighted
bright5park
1 Copper

Re: How to complain to someone in authority

Thank you for your response.  However, I still feel that a brand new machine should not fail multiple times within the first few months.   I haven't had more than a three-week period without needing to seek help.  Clearly, I'm not expecting Dell to pay for time lost but I'm reaching a point where I'm thinking of calling it quits and just replacing the machine: wireless card replaced, now it's the mother board, two failed docking stations ... all within the first six months.