Highlighted
bdm1986
1 Copper

I Trusted What Dell Told Me - Was This Where I Went Wrong?

Several months ago, I purchased a laptop off Ebay. I was told the warranty might not transfer, and accepted this. The laptop arrived, and true to form, the warranty wouldn't transfer. After 16 hours on the phone with a number of Dell reps, being transferred across the world and back at least 30 times, I was told the laptop was stolen. Argh!!! No issues, I returned it to the seller, and got a refund. 

So now, I'm going to be smarter I thought. I'm going to call Dell BEFORE I buy a laptop, give them the service tag, and make sure I'm good to go. After all, warranties are really important to me, and this laptop had the platinum standard for warranties - including accidental damage for 3 years. Remember, I'm up to Dell management level for the last warranty nightmare. I call the person who finally owned my case. He looks up the service tag, and confirms I'm good, and that it will transfer. Great!! I buy the laptop. It arrives, and submit the warranty transfer request exactly as I had been told to do. But wait! Something is wrong. What, you ask? Well, that's what I asked. Why won't this transfer? Dell is tight-lipped this time. They won't tell me why. I spend another 20 or so hours on the phone. This time, it's spread out over multiple weeks as I'm waiting for people who promise to get back to me to return phone calls, emails, etc., - I'm pretty frustrated now, so I open a case with the BBB. Couple days later, someone from Dell calls me to work on the case. They tell me this laptop has been stolen as well.

I start scratching my head. Hey, you said I was good.  I trusted you! They ignore this. I have multiple phone calls, emails, and the like, and they refuse to help. By this time, the paypal protection policy on my laptop has expired. I spend days more trying to reason with them. No go, they're fresh out of reason I guess. Finally, several months after this whole thing started, they tell me they're going to transfer the warranty into my name. Great, phew. I'm so grateful in fact that I send a couple Amazon gift cards to the person who told me the laptop would transfer - just because I felt bad about all the rather heated conversations we had. So, several more months pass. I have an issue with the laptop, and I call in for support. Sorry, is the answer. And again, they won't tell me why. I dial up the rep assigned to my BBB case. After a couple weeks of ignoring me, they finally respond, and again, refuse to help me. Their client finally confirmed with them the laptop was stolen.

Well, OK - but this doesn't help me. I know -- I'll offer to return the laptop to Dell so they can give it back to their customer. Dell would get massive brownie points with their client for sure. Dell can just give me an adequate replacement. I've wasted about 100 hours of my life, but in the end, mistakes were made right, and we are all treated fairly. After all, even the lady working on my BBB case agrees I wouldn't be in this situation if Dell hadn't made the mistake they did. But they don't want to do that, and refuse my offer to send the laptop back to them.

I'm a reasonable guy. There have been times where I know I've been asking for things that are not 100% reasonable. But this isn't one of them. I'm willing to write off all the wasted hours of my life in trying to fix this myself and help Dell make it right. But I'm not going to write off the consequences from a problem that I'm placed in because I believed what a Dell rep told me.

Dell needs to stand behind their word. This is the most basic component of customer service. How can we trust Dell anything we're told by Dell if they do a 180 and decide to not honor it whenever they so choose?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bdm1986
1 Copper

RE: I Trusted What Dell Told Me - Was This Where I Went Wrong?

It's sure been quiet here.  I'm sure everybody is busy, but can I get some assistance here?  I've already PM'd Lorna.  Thanks,

0 Kudos

Hi bdm1986,

Thanks for contacting me regarding the transfer of ownership. I sincerely regret any frustration or disappointment this third party purchase may have caused.

I am happy to look into this matter on your behalf. Please contact me privately and provide the following information:

Name:

Email Address:

Shipping Address:

Phone Number:

Order Number:

Service Tag #:

Country of purchase:

Current country location:

Reason for contact:

Thanks,

Lorna

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

0 Kudos
bdm1986
1 Copper

Lorna - I'm assuming your "freeze" for new issues won't apply to this since we'd conversed prior.  I sent you the required information.  Please let me know as soon as possible.  Thanks,

0 Kudos