Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2015 09:00

I ordered a new XPS 8900 computer and got a virus in system 32!!!

On dec. 9th as i was downloading the rest of the software i picked up a virus. Called microsoft as instructed and spent the next 3hrs on hold. never got to talk to anybody. called the next morning an got thru. I was hung up on and had to call back. all the gentleman wanted to do is shake me down for money on extended warranty. never really trying to remove the virus After trying to get thru to Dell again was a nightmare. so i filed a complaint with BBB. After waiting 6 days i finally got a response. Called at 7pm while i was out xmas shopping. The gentleman left a message with a number to call back. This was on the 14 of Dec. It is now the17th of December on NO one has shown the common curtsey to call me back after leaving messages each day and 1 e-mail reply. This shows a severe lack of customer service. Shows me they are to big to care about the their costumers or they have way to many complaints. After owning a Dell dimension 4300 for 15yrs with many changes to it the mother board had to many problems. So after good service from that computer i bought a new one. So Far IT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST MISTAKE i made . I have not turned it on to this day afraid of causing more problems. I have not been able to use my new computer since Dec. 3. All i can say is Dell has the worst com plait dept and customer service of any company i have delt with. all i want is my computer fixed or let me return it and i will go to a mother computer company and never think of Dell or Microsoft again. My daughters Mac Pro book has been trouble free and a wise investment. THANKS DELL thesis a great way of supporting a repeat costumer.

2.3K Posts

December 17th, 2015 11:00

Just so you know, the warranty for your computer does not cover virus removal.  It is the user's responsibility to have appropriate antivirus and antimalware products installed.  If you do and you still caught something, you can contact the company you got the antivirus from and they may cover removal, but its not the responsibility of the computer manufacture to remove it.  You will find that with any computer company weather it be Dell, HP, Apple, etc. 

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 17th, 2015 17:00

You can just do a Windows Reset which will reset the hard drive to exactly the way Dell shipped it and that should get rid of any viruses or malware.

Note: All personal files must be backed up on external media (eg, a USB hard drive) first because everything you put on the system will be lost, including personal files, new software, Microsoft updates etc.

Software and Microsoft updates can be easily reinstalled after the Reset, and personal files restored from your backups. Just be sure your anti-malware software and firewall are running before you go on line to download anything.

BTW: How do you know you got a virus? Could it just be a false positive? Some anti-malware apps have been incorrectly flagging Dell System Detect as malware lately. System Detect is not essential and can be uninstalled if it concerns you or gets flagged...

December 18th, 2015 18:00

Hi,

Look at this Dell link. This is caused by a compromised certificate and if you used the Dell auto detect system between certain dates, your computer is open to attack. 

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN300321

I posted a message in the Microsoft Community about having a detection with Defender.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning/windows-defender-in-action-on-my-dell-desktop-good/8c019a34-ce2c-43b7-bb13-e0a742d616e1

Brenda

No Events found!