Highlighted
D-Three
1 Copper

Laptop failure after less than 2 months, still defective!

I have been a Dell user for the past 20+ years. Unfortunately, it is obvious that the company has completely changed and the customer support experience is a huge disappointment. Dell - I've completely lost all confidence in your products after this most frustrating experience that still goes on for an entire month, with a defective product they just keep trying to fix. Huge frustration with "Advanced Resolution Department".

Short story: I bought a laptop for my wife to use for some coursework that she needed starting in Sept 2019. The laptop started failing after 1.5 months of usage. Three things: screen, motherboard, power. It was "fixed" after 3+ weeks and sent back. Now the WiFi connection is not working! Please see my entire experience below.

July 14: Purchased Inspiron 15 3000 Series - 3581
July (end): Delivered
Sept 8: screen stopped displaying anything, power was on (keyboard lights, fan)
Sept 9: talked to tech support and no troubleshooting worked
Sept 12: first technician visit - could not even power on laptop, technician ordered a new motherboard
Sept 12: called Dell and spent 1 hr 15 mins talking to Customer Care, Technical Support and managers

• Stated that the laptop is obviously defective and asked for a replacement and/or an extended warranty, which I was told NO

Sept 13: Advanced Resolution Group - Allen C called me

• Again, I stated that the laptop is obviously defective and asked for a replacement and/or an extended warranty, which I was told NO
  • I specifically gave my own cell number and he assured me that he would be the only point of contact and he would call my number to provide me updates

Sept 17: the same advanced Resolution representative called my wife - not me after I had explained explicitly to only talk to me
Sept 17: second technician visit

• Replaced laptop with brand new motherboard
  • Technician could not even power on the laptop - no response
  • Technician indicated that it needed to be shipped to the Service Center

Sept 18: Purolator dropped off the box
Sept 19: Purolator picked up the laptop packed in box
Sept 20: Advanced Resolution Group - Allen C called me

• Indicated that it would take 5-7 days for laptop to be fixed
  • Again, I stated that the laptop is obviously defective and asked for a replacement and/or an extended warranty, which I was told no
  • I asked for an email from Dell for which I could send my formal complaint
  • He was adamant and certain that an email was already sent to my wife's email the week before
    • We COULD NOT find any such email at all?
  • Assured me that he would call back on Sept 23

Sept 23: he did not call back
Sept 24: called my wife instead, which we had both previously indicated that I was the main point of contact
Sept 27: no call, but computer was dropped off with no notification or signing from the courier (very odd)

• it could have easily been taken by someone

Sept 30: Advanced Resolution Group - Allen C called me

• The computer seemed to work
  • Again, I asked for an extended warranty, after losing so much confidence, which again I was told no
  • I asked for an email from Dell and he finally sent to my email address

Oct 4: the WiFi connection kept getting lost and reconnecting
Oct 5: eventually could not even detect any WiFi connection

• Even the cheapest tablet I have has never had such a problem
  • Now I need to waste MORE time trying to get this defective laptop fixed!

Summary:

• This has been a huge inconvenience for us since the laptop was intended for my wife to use for her course work
  • We will never get back the amount of time lost / disruption talking to Customer Care, Technical Support, Advanced Resolutions Group, technician visits, awaiting repairs and writing this post!
  • Way back in 2008 I had a laptop that failed after one year, had two technician visits trying 3 different things, the laptop was immediately replaced
  • This time, with multiple points of failure detected after a short period of time, what is the probability that the laptop is defective?
  • What is the probability of us experiencing a failure on a completely brand new replacement?
  • It looks like without any replacement/additional extended warranty, how can I have any confidence in Dell products anymore?
  • I am posting here as a formal complaint and plan to also post my reviews on Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and Review sites
  • Does Dell still have confidence in their own products?
  • Do they still value their customers?
  • This has not only been a waste of time, but a waste of money. I could have just as easily bought a cheaper laptop, which I am certain would be more reliable
0 Kudos