Highlighted

Latitude 5285 random reboots

I was just wondering if I could get some assistance on an issue I've dealing with the Latitude 5285 series.

What I've encountered is that the system will randomly reset while it is being used. One second it's working perfectly and then the screen goes black and the dell logo displays while system reboots. There is no blue screen, no pause as the OS does a memory dump. It's as if someone hit a hardware reset button. The system reboots without alerting that there was a problem or that something unexpected occurred. I can see a kernel power event 41 in the system logs following the reboot. 

• I don't believe it's a heat issue as the fan isn't running and the back of the device itself is not hot when it happens.
  • I have used Dell SupportAssist to download the latest drivers and BIOS
  • All Windows 10 updates have been applied
  • I have sent the system in for repair twice - in which the motherboard and then the fan / heat sink were replaced.
  • I have observed the behavior it on a second device. (I was sent a replacement unit by Dell Support.)
  • I haven't been able to identify a specific trigger that causes it. Each time it's been different than the previous one.
  • Due to the fact that no system state is saved (that I'm aware of) when the error occurs, I can't really look for a smoking gun or perform much debug.

Nothing has corrected the issue and both systems do exactly the same thing as far as the reboot is concerned.

Based on the facts above I'm left believing that it is a software / driver issue at fault. I should also mention that it most frequently happens when I'm using Office 365 64bit edition and Microsoft Power BI. I'm aware that both of those programs are not mainstream but they are Microsoft supported. And, on the flip side, I have the identical software configuration on an older Latitude 7250 and it runs them perfectly. 

At this point, I can't use the 5285 to perform the work related functions for which it was purchased and it's been in repair long enough that I can't return it. 

Has anyone else encountered this type of issue? If so, is there a fix for it? I've researched a bit and see that a graphics driver can be connected to failures of this nature... Just not sure where to go from here.

Thanks, Paul

Labels (3)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anthe
Copper

Re: Latitude 5285 random reboots

I had the same issue with my 5285, random crashes even when the PC wasn't hot. Very frustrating. I installed Ubuntu and while my camera and fingerprint reader don't work yet I do not have random restarts anymore. No real fix found sadly

0 Kudos

So, since the system was delivered and I’ve set it up it has turned off on me twice, while I was using it. While I thought it might be a software issue since it showed up on two separate computers, I have reconsidered my thoughts on the issue and still believe it to be related to hardware and here’s why:

1. The software configuration I have works fine on ALL the other computers I have as well as those of the people I work with. From a Dell XPS L502x to a XPS 8900 to an Inspiron 7558 to a Latitude 7250. None of them exhibit this issue when using Office 365 x64 or Power BI Desktop.
  2. Just because the issue shows up on two different 5285’s doesn’t mean it can’t be a hardware issue. It just means it’s not a defective part or defective unit type of hardware issue. There could still be a design flaw that slipped through QA and system validation.
  3. The biggest reason I find to still believe it’s a hardware issue is this: It doesn't exhibit symptoms of a software issue. The system doesn’t blue-screen, dump memory or leave any traces that something went wrong while performing a software operation. On the other hand, there are plenty of indicators that is a hardware issue.
    1. It is a hard reset. It behaves exactly the same as if you pressed a hardware reset button. I’m not sure if the system loses power completely and performs a cold boot or simply does a warm boot, but I know that the reset is instantaneous – thus no blue screen or saving state.
    2. The OS gives no automatic indication of recovering from anything. It merely logs a Kernel Power Event 41 Task 63 (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)
    3. I am unaware of any software issue which can physical cause a reset this cleanly without the OS catching it…
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
rbaldacci
Copper

Same issue with my brand new Dell 5285. In my opinion, it's a serious hardware fault. I have also updated the BIOS to the latest version but still it reboots randomly. System is also updated to the latest Windows release.

It appears to be a common problem with DELL PC: https://www.dell.com/community/General/Dell-Inspiron-15-5555-reboots-randomly/td-p/5141955.

It's my first Dell PC and probably also the last one.

Roberto.

0 Kudos