Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

11 Posts

May 21st, 2019 16:00

Multiple Service issues

Dell customer service is horrible, and their warranty service is even worse. I would highly recommend you don't purchase their XPS. I have the 15 9570. If you buy one and have issues (likely will - do some research), you will waste countless hours on the phone with tech support, and if you set up an in-home technician, you will spend even more hours with them.

I had two home visits in which the tech didn't even have the right equipment. Two scheduled 4-hour windows in which they did not even show up. And two in which they did show up and do work on the computer, at the end of the 4 hours. That’s 24 hours in which I waited for them. This isn’t counting all of the troubleshooting over the phone in the previous four months leading up to this (some for separate issues). Same happened with phone support re: waiting on calls that didn’t come.

After the final two home visits, when the computer was actually worked on, the same issues with the laptop (and new ones) appeared the next week. Now it's crashing with a blue screen on top of the other issues I was having (namely speaker issues). So, understandably, I requested a refund. Nope. They bow down to the 30-day policy. Yes, I know what policy means. Yes, I know it is "an electronic item which is prone to failure and cannot be guaranteed for its functionality," as a member of their Consumer Support team told me. Failed electronics is less than half the reason why I requested a refund. The horrible service is by far the main reason. I don't want to do business with a company that doesn't care about their customers.

When my machine messes up again (and it will), I now know what I have to deal with, and it's going to , and it's going to cut into sooo many hours of time in which I need to be doing work on the machine I paid $1,700 for before also adding $300 worth of extended warranty. This is the reason I'm requesting a refund, because I've seen what this company has to offer. A machine this expensive, that’s less than a year old, that doesn't work, via a company with bad customer service, should supersede their policy-god, but naw, they have my money, which is the only thing they're after. The most they will do is send out another technician (no thank you) or send me a refurbished computer. So, I’m taking a refurbished, selling it and never doing business with them again. This of course means I will lose money. I’ll take that over dealing with a **bleep** company.

Also, I think they're all robots programmed to say the same thing over and over?

247 Posts

May 23rd, 2019 09:00

I love my XPS 9360 haven't had any real trouble, just a bit of Wifi issues with their Killer Wireless. Not my favorite, but new drivers fixed the issues. Had another Dell that had charging issues, I insisted on sending it in to a repair depot not have in home service. Turnaround was a week so it was fine. I can't ever get people to come to my home on time for anything. I would probably be just as upset if they didn't show up. I guess for me if your dissatisfied all you can do is speak with your wallet and not buy anymore products. That's pretty much my feeling vote your feelings with your wallet. I understand the expectation thing, because you buy something premium you expect better.

219 Posts

May 25th, 2019 17:00

the next Dell laptop that I'll buy for either myself or a family member will not be an XPS but rather an Inspiron.

I find there are less problems with Inspiron models than with XPS

May 26th, 2019 09:00

To be honest, I have not read all the thread. But I just want to say that I totally agree with you on "Dell Customer Support is horrible". You just need to figure out things and fix it by your own.

Sorry Dell team. This is the truth. Hopefully there will be improvements in future.

31 Posts

May 26th, 2019 15:00

I agree. There is no point in buying premium laptops if the quality and the support are not premium. The latest XPSs have a lot of issues (simply see this forum), rarely addressed or fixed with reasonable speed. If this is normal (and I do not think so) in the laptop industry than just buy a cheaper product, at least you do not pay for the illusion of quality.

11 Posts

June 3rd, 2019 19:00

Yeah, my experience with Dell started out messy and only got worse. I'm going to sell the refurb and be done with them for good. I'll lose money, but for real, I would rather do that then be a Dell customer anymore.

11 Posts

June 9th, 2019 16:00

Update: Only reburished unit they had available is a light downgrade (worse wifi card), but that's all they were offering, so I took it. No joke, it started malfunctioning the second I turned it on. Made an awful noise. Hard to explain, but something like a fast, ticking noise - something like shuffling a deck of cards, but more mechanical (strange description, I know). Anyway, for sure not a noise the laptop should be making. My other laptop never made this noise. That wasn't all though. I turned it on and started playing music, and it has speaker issues. Sounds like one of them is blown out. I don't mean something hardly noticeable, I mean it literally sounds like one of them is blown out. I reported this to the Advanced Resolutions Group (same dude I've already been talking to), stating that surely this is grounds for a refund, and he said nothing new at all. Didn't even apologize. Just said said that he has "documentation stating that the unit was thoroughly checked before being shipped out." They won't even replace this refurb with another. Now we have to troubleshoot over the phone, adding this to the already 7+ hours of phone time I have logged with Dell. So, we set up a phone call window for yesterday (Saturday) between 1:00 and 3:00. I waited until about 4:45, with no call, and then sent him an email, letting him know that I am adding this to the list of screw ups on Dell's part. He called me a little over an hour later, saying that he got caught up on another call and that we would have to reschedule for Monday.

It's sort of becoming funny how incompetent this company has been. They've made me into a consumer who will forever attempt to convince people not to buy Dell products.

I spent hours yesterday typing/submitting an looooong complaint to an agency, as well as sending it to a member of Dell's executive team. I'm sure this will probably achieve little of any value. In response to the complaint, Dell will simply say, "we apologize for any inconvenience....but no," and I recently found out that complaints to execs just get routed back to the Advanced Resolutions Group, so...I'll keep trying though.

11 Posts

June 9th, 2019 16:00

Agreed. Definitely not normal. I was with Lenovo for years. Their customer service was miles better than Dell's. I didn't really need to use their customer service though, because the laptop lasted 8 years. To this day, it's more reliable than my XPS. And I've never owned an mac, but I know plenty of people who do/have, and it's the same story with them.

Of course, there will be horror stories with any company, including the two I just listed, but once you start clicking around Dell's track record, it's reeeeallly embarrassing.

No Events found!