Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2020 22:00

My data for a repair

Hello. So i have had a issue with my hard drive and i was wondering, do you guys go though the files on the laptop. The laptop cannot boot to windows. I have some confidential things in it but its backed up. What happens to the faulty hdd. The hard drive has a failure i think and im mailing it so it can be replaced. I dont want my data to be checked or gone though because its confidential

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

December 21st, 2020 03:00

While it's likely no one will see the data, the only sure way is to replace the drive yourself and destroy the faulty drive.  If it's a hard drive, the cost (well under $100) may be worth the security.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2020 05:00

@CTG_8273 

My laptop is a dell inspiron 15 3000 series with 8gb ram 1tb hdd and a i3 10th gen

I have a backup if all my work and my games are linked to my account so when i receive the laptop all i need to do is reinstall somethings.

If they destory or remove my data from the hdd that is fine by me. I wanted them to remove it since i have backups.

513 Posts

December 21st, 2020 05:00

Hello @Birbo  What model Laptop? If it was me I would just forget sending it in and get a SSD and try and clone the HDD to the SSD using some type of dock or SATA to USB. Then I would install the SSD myself. If I could not do it I would send to the a local shop. If it will not clone I would save the old drive and try to use the dock or USB to SATA and get Data that way.

If you send it to Dell you are gonna get a new drive and they will destroy the old drive. Maybe you can request it to be sent back. but they may try to reinstall the OS deleting your data before they replace it because they are gonna test it also.

513 Posts

December 21st, 2020 06:00

@Birbo 

OK with the system hope they fix it.

513 Posts

December 21st, 2020 06:00

@Birbo 

Have you sent the Laptop in yet? Have you ran Diagnostics or is it just slow? I just ran across this It got my attention because I have a Inspiron 3000 from 2014 running Windows 10 and even with an SSD it's slow. I am going to check mine out with that link. Maybe you can check that before you send it's just slow the hard drive might not be bad. That link is for the below issues.

System Becomes Slow, Unstable, or Freezes After Installing Microsoft Windows Update KB4549951. 

3 Posts

December 21st, 2020 07:00

I havent sent the laptop in yet. I did diagnosis and this wad the result.

20201221_100428.jpg

No Events found!