Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

5 Posts

November 28th, 2018 09:00

Order Canceled and Moving On

I've been a Dell/Alienware customer for many years.  I purchased computers for work and home.  My last home build was an Alienware Aurora in 2011 - which is what I'm still using today.  I recently purchased three Alienware G-sync monitors to prepare for a new computer.  I ordered another Aurora on October 10, 2018.  Then the problems began.  

After email confirmation, I was surprised to learn of the expected delivery of Nov. 27.  I have never heard of a build to take almost 7 weeks. On Nov. 16, I noticed no change in status and there was no further communication from Dell.  I decided to CHAT with Dell to make sure everything was still on target.  They told me there was a "part shortage" and the computer is delayed.  I had received no such email and was surprised to learn this from the Chat person.  He would not or could not tell me what "part" was delayed.  I was instructed to call "Order Modification" to maybe change the delayed part for a part that was in stock. 

I called Order Modification on the 16th and the rep insisted the computer was NOT delayed and there was NO part shortage and it was scheduled to be shipped as scheduled on Nov 22 and arrive by Nov 27. 

I was concerned about the conflicting information, so I contacted the Facebook Dell tech support with a personal message.  I received a message back that my order had an "unexpected delay" and they had no date when my computer would ship.  I was told I would get an update from them in 2-3 days.  

After 2-3 days, I received no update and no communication whatsoever.  On Nov. 23, I decided to go back to Dell Chat and ask for a status update.  I was told by this rep that there was a "manufacturing delay" on my computer and that the computer is currently still in "pre-production."  He said they haven't even started building the computer yet.  He could not tell me WHY it was delayed and encouraged me to again contact Order Modification to ask for more details and maybe change my order so it won't be delayed.  

I called Order Modification AGAIN to ask why my computer wasn't being built.  The rep told me there was NO delay on my computer and the reason why there was no change in status was because of the Thanksgiving holiday.  He said he personally looked up my ship date and it was scheduled to ship out on Nov. 26 and would arrive by Nov 28.  He said it was already built. 

Because of the conflicting information, I contacted Chat again on Nov. 24.  I was told by that rep that the computer was in "pending production" because of a shortage with the Nvidia RTX 2080 ti card.  He was very specific.  I found it odd that the other Chat reps would not tell me the reason for the delay, but this rep was very open about the cause of the delay.  He said, the computer would not go into production until ALL parts are available and that there is currently no date of production for my computer.  He said the best option would be to cancel this entire order and submit a new order.  He said he would have a rep from his Sales team call me.  

On Nov. 26, I got a call from the Dell Sales department. He wanted me to cancel the other order and reorder with a GTX 1080 ti card instead of the new generation RTX card.  He said it would make no difference in performance. He said NO company would be able to get me a computer with an RTX 2080 card in it because Nvidia has production issues and cannot provide the cards.  He said if I ordered right away, I could get the computer by the end of December. However, the price he quoted with the lower-end graphics card was actually HIGHER than the price of the computer with the RTX 2080 ti card.  He said in order to get a lower price, I would have to have a "Preferred" account and be approved for financing.  He wanted to have me apply over the phone.   I decided not to do anything at this time.  He sent me an email with his contact information and said he would call back on Nov. 27. 

The next day, I decided to cancel my $3300 computer order and NOT reorder.  Although I enjoy my Aurora that I currently have, I just cannot deal with a company that does not instigate any communications.  I had to call, chat, or message to get ANY information. And the information I got was confusing and conflicting and inaccurate.  I just cannot deal with a company like that.  What happened to Dell?  My last experience was good, but this was a nightmare.  I DID order another computer with a Nvidia 2080 ti graphics card from another company and it is scheduled to be shipped in a couple of weeks. 

10 Elder

• 

23K Posts

November 28th, 2018 16:00

This may explain the video card issue - hopefully you'll get a good one;  many reports of failures on the RTX2080Ti are out there.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/rtx-2080-ti-gpu-defects-launch,37995.html

No Events found!