Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2015 07:00

Overcharged by $500 because of typo: offered $75 "concession" or a refund 30 days from return after 3 hours on the phone

Overcharged by $500 because of typo: offered $75 "concession" or a refund 30 days from return after 3+ hours on the phone

NikNav
Posted by NikNav

I ordered a laptop through your chat service and authorized a payment of $1165.90 onto my credit card with Rakesh from your Outlet Sales team(Chat Session ID 71655443). I was charged $1665.87 and the laptop shipped right away. I contacted someone (Chat Session ID 71685843) about how to get the overcharge sorted out. I was told all I had to do was:

Agent (TIP_Raye B): "I really do apologize for the inconvenience. For you to get a credit back you just need to call our Customer Care Department and provide them your chat transcript as a proof of the total price that you want to order"

I followed Raye's suggestion and tried to contact Dell multiple times, was transferred from department to department (with hold times of 45+ minutes each time even though I was quoted 5-15 minutes and told "don't worry"). Finally I was told by a Gerardo and his manager Sandra that they could process a return and I could be refunded fully within 30 days or wait 10-15 days for a $75 concession.

A few hours later Rakesh calls me back after having left a message for him over the weekend. He appologized for the typo, saying he had meant to quote the price to a different person he had been chatting with. He suggested I had no recourse other than to wait the 30 days and order a new laptop through him or transfer and talk to customer service again.

Is it legal to charge someone $500 more than I authorized? Do I have no other recourse?!?

Poor Poor Fair Fair Average Average Good Good Excellent Excellent
{count}" data-configuration="Format=%7Btoggle%7D%20%3Cspan%20class%3D%22count%22%3E%3Cspan%20class%3D%22icon%22%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E%7Bcount%7D%3C%2Fspan%3E&IncludeLike=true"> Like 0
  • No its not legal, however mistakes do happen.  As far as I know, the only recourse you have is to return the unit itself and reorder if possible at the quoted price.  Or you can contact your CC company and dispute the charge.  One thing comes up in my mind, when you ordered the product did you give your CC numbers out over chat or did they give you a 'saved' cart and have you go through the online checkout process?

Did this answer your question?  Yes
    {count}" data-configuration="Format=%7Btoggle%7D%20%3Cspan%20class%3D%22count%22%3E%3Cspan%20class%3D%22icon%22%3E%3C%2Fspan%3E%7Bcount%7D%3C%2Fspan%3E&IncludeLike=true"> Like 0
  • Neither happened - I didn't give the CC number out over chat or receive a "saved" cart and go through the online process myself.  It was all done through the chat window

I totally understand mistakes happen.  I got in touch with Rakesh himself via phone.  Apparently it was supposed to be a quote for another customer that he had typed into my chat window. Clearly not a systematic attempt to *** with a lower price and charge something higher.

Still. The practiced responses from "customer service" side of things are infuriating. It's as if they'll be punished for actually helping me. When I get transferred to a "sales" person, I end up with real person who suggests it should be easy to fix wants to help but sadly can't:

Agent (TIP_Raye B): "I really do apologize for the inconvenience. For you to get a credit back you just need to call our Customer Care Department and provide them your chat transcript as a proof of the total price that you want to order"

• Hi NikNav, 

Thank you for contacting us on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. Please allow me to apologize for any frustration or inconvenience this order may have caused. Dell strives to communicate accurate pricing and product information but will not be held responsible for any pricing, typographical, or other errors in such communications. Unfortunately, Dell does not compensate for wrong orders however, it appears you were offered a one-time exception of $75 for your experience. 

The information provided by the representative and their manager is correct. The order needs to be returned for credit. Before returning a product, you MUST first contact Dell customer service and obtain a Credit Return Authorization (CRA) number before the end of the applicable return period. Dell will not accept returns without a CRA number. To find the appropriate phone number or to send an email to customer service to request a CRA number, go to Dell.com/contact or see the "Contacting Dell" or "Getting Help" section of your customer documentation. 

Once the credit has posted here at Dell Inc., it normally takes a couple of weeks to post to your credit card account. Your credit card bank may take up to a full billing cycle for it to actually post against your credit card account. This is not a normal occurrence, but we want you to have all of the information in case it does take a full billing cycle. 

Thanks for your patience,
    Lorna 

No Responses!
No Events found!