Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2021 16:00

Repair delay, 3 different explanations, run around

We puchased our first Dell computer 07/2019. It has had A LOT of issues. These issues are unreasonable considering the laptop sits on my work desk and never even moves.

Less than 4 months after purchase (11/2019) there was a harddrive failure which we had to send computer in for and was repaired under original warranty. 

Then 3 months after that (02/2020) there was a battery failure for which we had to sens in to be repaired under warranty. There were also some hardware issues again they repaired.

Once again... 3 months later (05/2020) the system failed again and had to be sent in and repaired under warranty.

In 07/2020 I received an email from Dell stating our warranty was expiring and asking if we wanted to purchase an extended warranty. Due to the many issues this computer has had since the very beginning, we purchased another year of warranty.

Then in 12/2020 the system failed again.- right in the middle of use. The error lights were flashing a code of:  2 orange/4 white blinks indicating memory RAM failure.  Once again we had to send this laptop in for yet another warranty repair.

Well, we waited 3 weeks after Dell received the Laptop and no word on anything (not even a receipt confirmation). Then on 01/08/21 I recieve an email stating I need to pay $259+tax for out of warranty system repairs.

I call customer service who verifies the active warranty and am told the battery needs to be replaced and it's not covered under warranty. She said the other 3 things that need to be replaced are covered and those are - daughterboard, memory & palmrest.

I agree to have the 3 warranty items repaired only, not the battery and she sends a message to "the Depot" to proceed with warranty repairs.

Great.

Then a few days later (01/12/2021) I receive another email stating I need to pay $259+tax for out of warranty repair.

I call customer service AGAIN. (Mind you, these calls take a long time)  Now I'm told both the battery AND palm rest aren't covered because of external damage to the palmrest. (There was nothing wrong with the palm rest when we sent the computer in) And that the daughterboard and memory were covered since they were internal hardware.

Whatever! I tell them just to fix the 2 internal issues and send the computer back. They've had for a month at this point!! The gentleman ASSURES me they are sending the message to "the Depot" to get the repairs completed and the computer back to us asap.  He also apologizes because he can see where I had been told something different on 01/08/2021.

Great.

Now, today. I get a phone call telling me NONE of my repairs are covered and asking me for $259+tax yet again.

I am COMPLETELY FRUSTRATED.  We have had to REPEATEDLY send this system in for issues that were in no way any fault of our own. We didn't even have the system for FOUR MONTHS before it originally failed.

It was working fine this last time until it just shut off mid-session for no reason at all and indicated a memory failure. *IF* there's any damage it's probably due to it being shipped back and forth for so many ridiculous repairs. Or perhaps it was damaged in the MONTH it sat - who knows where - waiting for a repair.

I can't get any consistent answers, I get told different things by everyone and I NEED HELP resolving this!!

If you add up how much time it had been at the repair depot, it's 25% of the computers life!! Absolutely inexcusable.

Would someone PLEASE help me?

January 22nd, 2021 16:00

A technician came out today and finally resolved the issue and repaired the hardware.

Thank you so much to JKC for being so helpful by listening to the issue and offering s resolution!

Also, the technician that came out was very friendly and helpful.

January 20th, 2021 11:00

The reply states there isn't an accidental damage warranty. There's no damage to the system though so that is not applicable.

There IS a system warranty that IS applicable to the daughterboard and memory.

• 

25.1K Posts

Hi,

I have replied to you via a private message.

-Gautam.

**UPDATE**

So. I never received a response from you all and today my computer arrived back with a note saying I "rejected estimate".

The paper says "scratches on bottom cover/case". These are NORMAL wear and tear scratches and in NO WAY WHATSOEVER should affect the memory and daughterboard of the system!!!!!!!

They are very light superficial places and now I feel like I am just being completely lied to by DELL.

20210120_143602.jpg

Normal superficial scratches on the bottom of a laptop from normal use are not going to cause a memory and daughterboard failure!!

January 20th, 2021 12:00

I need information on an arbitration filing please! 

January 22nd, 2021 16:00

Thank you so much for confirming that the issue is resolved. We will let JKC know. If there is anything in the meanwhile, do leave us a message. 

No Events found!