Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2017 11:00

SCAM - Tech Support Call

I have received over 50 calls  either from people claiming to be or directly from Dell Tech Support (according to the phone number)---and decided to answer one yesterday...

I asked them to ID my address and Service Tag, on file--- they did so accurately and then told me when I they had last services my laptop...

I was alarmed when told that "Dell" was getting a "malware warning from my computer", AND that I should STOP all internet Purchasing and Banking". When I inquired to get more detail, i was instructed in how to get to a directory of DLL.EXE files--- which I was told were actually evidence of the malware...

They graciously told me that I could handle the situation myself--- but then offered to walk me through it...

I agreed, right up until they referred me to a website that would have me give them remote control of my computer...

Alarmed at what I was seeing, I made an excuse to get off the phone (telling them that they could call me back in an hour. I then googled "Dell Scam" only to find that this SCAM has been going on since 2010...

WHAT is DELL doing about this tech support "insider SCAM"...?

June 23rd, 2017 12:00

Dell has been sweeping this under the rug for over a year now.   If you call Dell to ask about it they give you a pretty much non stop run around.    

Its disturbing and annoying.    My guess the problems it causes for some of their customers is less of a risk for them then to come out and say there is a problem. 

But as we speak right now, there are Dell customers being ripped off, and it is Dells fault.   I have been trying to get them to do something about it for over a year now.  

1 Message

September 20th, 2017 17:00

I have experienced identical work.  I have since this call been trying to get the supposed Dell support to quit calling me.  Telling them so as many as 10 times with no luck.  Now we block their numbers as my wife gets the calls as well.  We need to get this stopped in some way other than lose our phone number.  We now have medical reasons to answer any phone calls we don't know and this Dell thing is getting ridiculous after almost 2 years of fighting this mess.  And nowhere can I report a problem directly to dell other than a phone call.

September 22nd, 2017 13:00

What is this in response to?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

The problem is its not Dell calling you.  They are scammers claiming to be dell.   At some point Dell has either had a data breach (hacked)  or someone at their support center is leaking information. 

Dell cant do much now as far as stopping the calls, the cat is already out of the bag for us.  But they can do a better job of informing customers what is going on instead of just feeding us lines of ***.  And of course working to prevent it from happening to new customers. 

At this moment I cant buy or suggest anyone to buy a dell product.  

9.4K Posts

September 27th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Protection of your data is a top priority for Dell. Unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent across our industry.

We’d love for you to take a moment to help us stop cybercriminals by reporting details about your interaction. Would you please complete this form www.dell.com/reportphonescams? This will allow us to investigate further. 

Regards,
Robert

2 Posts

November 29th, 2017 06:00

"Unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent across our industry."

Sure it is, what is not prevalent, and not acceptable is that they knew my service tag!

1 Message

December 4th, 2017 10:00

Hi Robert,

I've been receiving hundreds scamming calls for the last 3 years until today I still receiving call from the scammers. What is dell been doing about it?

Kevin H.

December 4th, 2017 15:00

I am sure like me,  the others have filled out forms and even called to try to find out what the heck is going on.  Dell refuses to address the situation properly.  Plus very time I call I get a crazy run around by  a staff that seems to have no idea what they are doing.  Or who do not want to deal with it so they dont bother calling people back after promising them they would do so. 

I am very tired of the canned "unfortunately, technology phone scams have become prevalent... " response. 

How did these scammers get information they should not have?

How many customers have been scammed already because Dell doesn't want to admit there is a problem which they have failed at addressing properly? 

December 5th, 2017 08:00

Yup.

Made another post here myself on the same subject a little while back, got the same canned response and a link to a form that i'm apparently supposed to spend hours putting the hundreds of service tags I support into.

3 more calls this week, it's always someone in a call center who obviously has access to up-to-date info on the service tags I support, as well as possibly my repair tickets as well.

Interestingly, one of the guys who called yesterday, I noticed was Russian-accented.

Dell has clearly lost control of their customer information at some or all levels.

February 6th, 2018 13:00

I just got a call from "Dell" who knew EVERYTHING about my computer, and my full name. This is much worse than a typical scammer, and the fact that Dell will not address it fully means that I will definitely NOT be buying a Dell again until they get their $hit together and admit to what happened and what they've done to prevent it. 

1 Message

February 14th, 2018 02:00

Just a bump to note that this is STILL current. I'm pretty savvy about scams but even I was almost taken in by the sheer quality and amount of info the scammers use. Wonder how long Dell can keep a lid on whatever data breach it clearly has...

1 Message

April 4th, 2018 15:00

Hey, waka, I get calls from these people too, numerous calls..not only is it odd they know only what Dell should know but how did this joker know I was downloading a lot of files from the Dell website for 4 days? This is clearly inside. I'm contacting one of those class action at firms tomorrow and get a court action going if one hasn't been done yet. There is clearly an internal breach and their internal security is non functional.

2 Posts

July 27th, 2018 15:00

I'm getting calls alerts on my screen, like your computer has a virus please call dell gives me a number to call it looks like a Dell number. I don't no who to trust any more or who to call to get everything under control. Mind you Iv had my 15" 2 in 1 for less then a year and I just got it sent back and they new all of that but one this they said was someone was on a **bleep** site now if my oldest son had stayed home ok but he had spent the night over a friend's house for the last few days and my four year old played Redbox so from it coming from the shop cleaned reset no one has used it since I sent it in so I called it in. Nothing still. Now when I do get a hold of someone they ask me if they can take control of my laptop just like the scammers how am I to trust any one. 

No Events found!