Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

5 Posts

August 14th, 2019 10:00

AW3418DW, exchange cancelled without notice, no proof of purchase

I lose half of the picture on my Dell Alienware AW3418DW, one side of the picture is fine, the other end tapers off into darkness. 3 Year "Advanced Exchange" warranty, I call Dell. It's after hours so I try again the next day. Next day, I turn on the monitor, no picture at all this time. Great. I call Dell. I speak to Maria, who walks me through the whole process. Described my issue. Followed along her troubleshooting steps. Sent in a bunch of photos of my monitor, me holding up some handwritten "verification" information in front of my monitor, photos of the Express Service Code, Serial Number, Service Tag, said handwritten information in front of all of this, some low lights, some close ups. A whole photo shoot. After a lengthy and dramatically drawn out process, Maria tells me she will dispatch a replacement, it'll be next day delivery, instructions will be in my inbox. Thanks.

I give the process an 8/10 in the following review, because even though excessive, the process concluded with my desired result. A week passes. Hmmm. I reply to the email with Maria asking her is there any issues, don't hear back, then hop onto Dell.com to check for myself. "Service Request: Cancelled". No notice, no email, no follow up from Maria. No news at all. No news is not good news. So since then I've been on the phone, on chat, I've been everywhere except Twitter, trying to understand why my replacement was cancelled. Eventually I speak to someone and I am asked for proof of purchase, "Please take a photo of a handwritten note with information in front of your monitors service information...", "I've done all that before", [crickets], "Why do I need to do this again", [crickets], "Okay, fine, I'll resend the exact photos I sent last week to my original technician", "Thank you sir". Once I send the photos, again, I'm asked to send in a copy of my receipt, from last year, in order to validate the information, "In order to validate the account, the proof of purchase (receipt) of the monitor is required.".

This is just unnecessary hoops to jump through, and honestly ridiculous, I even offered to register MY device if it'll help. Nope, only way we can help you is with a receipt. I am not an accountant nor am I being audited, I don't keep receipts around for years, no one does. And if I did keep perfect prudence, it wouldn't help in this case, even though I went to a local retailer for this purchase, I was not the one that paid, it was a gift and the person with me paid for it. So your warranty isn't honored, if I didn't use my card and receive a receipt, and hold onto that receipt? That sounds like chicanery and misdirection.

I use this display professionally, and am without it. Because even though the display is physically in my possession and I am the first and only owner, I don't have the receipt. So the warranty will not be honored, nice.

August 16th, 2019 14:00

Update: No progress. It seems Dell's Social Media team is attempting to help investigate them taking place but the ticket was reopened by the Customer Support team, for what, so they can email me, call me, and tell me in chat that they want me to provide a receipt. So one team cannot help me out (by honoring their warranty) because customer support still has "dibs".

August 16th, 2019 15:00

The hoops they make you jump through are ridiculous. I had to do all that  even though I was well within the 30 day return policy. How the do you need a copy of the receipt when I bought the thing from you? Makes no sense at all. I have never had to do that garbage with any other company just to get an exchange. How long have you had the monitor before it started messing up? 

August 19th, 2019 07:00

Keeping you jumping through hoops in order to delay your warranty request until it is out of warranty no doubt. I've had the display about a year now, I was one of the early adopters. And ironically I bought it because even though Asus and Acer had competing products, Dell's warranty was 3 years, while the competitors were only one year. I may have egg on my face.

August 21st, 2019 05:00

Another week without a resolution.

August 22nd, 2019 06:00

Final update for anyone that reaches this thread: Do not use Dell's warranty site in order to inquire about getting service. I know it sounds unintuitive, that's because it is. I am stuck in a loop where no one is helping me because of the receipt issue. And anyone that wants to help is being blocked from doing so because I first went to Dell's warranty site, so that team has claim on my ticket, so nothing can be done unless I magically drum up a receipt from Micro Center.

If you want good customer service from Dell (them honoring their warranty), post in the forums, post on Twitter, or post on Reddit, post on Facebook. The social media team is much more capable than Dell's outsourced service team, but cannot help you if do not start with them.

No Events found!