Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2015 16:00

System Mechanic Professional

I called a number for Dell tech support to ask about some calls I'd received, purportedly from Dell, about a $58 support plan. I was switched to some other company. I didn't find out until I got the receipt in email.

I bought System Mechanic Professional, thinking I was buying it from Dell. A tech named Satyajit cleaned up my computer and installed it for me. He was very nice and patient. Apparently there was some problem uninstalling Kaspersky, so we were on the phone a long time.

When I hung up, I discovered that my printer didn't work. At least it wouldn't print. It scanned just fine. But apparently some setting was changed on the computer during installation of System Mechanic that made it impossible for the computer to recognize the printer. I downloaded the driver from HP, but it wouldn't install the printer.

I called back what I thought was Dell and asked them to fix the ;problem they'd caused during installation. A very rude man told me that they wanted $129 to fix the problem. I could barely afford to buy their program. It isn't right that they wouldn't address the problem they caused. Now I have to take the time to copy all my files and wipe my drive when I'm right in the middle of a case.

I'm totally disgusted and I do not want this program. I want my money back if they'll even give it to me. If you're going to work with outside corporations, they shouldn't be reachable by Dell's number. This practice is deceitful.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 9th, 2015 09:00

Hi Moldavite, 

Thank you for posting your comments on the Dell Community Forum Customer Care Board. We appreciate anyone who takes the time to share their customer journey. Please allow me to apologize for any frustration or inconvenience you may have been caused. 

We have received complaints regarding fraudulent callers promoting Dell sounding products. This is actually a scam from 3rd party entities posing as Dell. Customers are receiving calls from these fraudulent entities stating their system is infected by a virus/malware. The 3rd party entities offer to assist them for a fee. 

To protect yourself, do NOT provide any confidential information such as password, Customer ID, Credit/Debit Card number or PIN, CVV, DOB to any email or telephonic request, even if the request is from Dell. Do NOT transfer funds to or share account details with unknown non-validated 3rd party.

I googled the System Mechanic Professional you mentioned and apparently it is a program you can download for free or with extended services for an additional fee.

Additionally, I am concerned you allowed them to remove your anti-virus software. Dell offers support outside of your limited hardware warranty for an additional fee. That was the reason for the quote you received when you contacted Dell regarding the printer issue.

1. One Time fee based troubleshooting support. Get help troubleshooting software issues or get answers to “how to” questions such as PC customization, Network set up, Internet and email set up and Connect to a printer.

2. Our Premium Phone Support experts will help detect and remove viruses and/or malware so your computer gets back up and running smoothly.

I sincerely regret the difficulties you have experienced. Please report the scam to @ReportDellScams on Twitter. They will investigate the issue and if additional information is required, they may contact you. Please be prepared to provide the following information: 

Customer Name:
Phone number:
Email Address:
System Service Tag number:
Service Request Case number (If available):
Fraudulent Company's Name:
Fraudulent Caller's Name (If available):
Phone number used to call customer (If available): 

You may also file a complaint online with this Complaint Assistant  or this phone helpline: 1-877-382-4357. 

I trust this information is helpful. Please let us know if we may be of any further assistance. 

Sincerely,
Lorna

No Events found!