Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HG

October 30th, 2012 12:00

The Best made By the Worst

This may not be the correct forum, but I need a soapbox so this is it.

One of the most unfortunate things about Dell computers is that they are so good. Everything, but everything else about my dealings with the company has always been a disaster. The sales team promise everything and delivery nothing, there is no-one with any decision-making or customer relation skills one can speak to , and there is absolutely  no-one at any level one can communicate with if there is an issue that needs to be resolved. The people at the end of the phone are ravenous and tenacious when they sniff an order, but once your credit card has been processed you can forget about any follow-up or service.

Please will someone at Dell take this on board. Or am I being totally  naive and the better mouse trap theory is finally working?

I look forward to the response

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 30th, 2012 13:00

This is primarily a user-to-user forum but I will see if I can get one of my Dell contacts to help.

That said, you didn't provide any inkling of what your problem is. Without knowing if it's an ordering problem, a hardware problem, etc. etc, how can anyone find the right person to help?

October 31st, 2012 02:00

Thank you for responding. I apologise for not being clear ( and for perhaps using the wrong platform).

My issue is with the Dell approach to customer care, and really has nothing to do with the actually Dell machines or their operation. It is just that it is impossible - at least here in the UK- to speak to anyone at Dell who is able to give any real information or service when trying to purchase a new machine. I work with older people, helping them move onto the net. As such I need to be able to relate to Dell in terms of deciding which machine to purchase, what the exact comparable specifications are and most importunately what is the best deal and options in the event that I need to modify or change an order, as my clients are old folk, who need to look at and try before buying, as opposed to corporates who will juts mass purchase.

Bottom line is that Dell here in the UK just don't care - once they have my order, they have no further interest in me until my next order, despite their obsequiousness and protestations they they will give the best service. In most cases this turns out that I can find a better deal on the web then they can offer me

There - rant over. If you can help by explaining to Dell UK that they should learn to treat their customers better, I for one would greatly appreciate that.

10 Elder

• 

43.5K Posts

October 31st, 2012 11:00

Sorry to hear your problem with sales and ordering. The best place for your self-described rant is Dell's Customer Care forum, rather than the Desktop General Hardware forum.

I did ping my US Dell contacts about this thread but I don't work for Dell and have no contacts in the UK.  

Best I can do...

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2012 07:00

Is this Official Dell in UK or a reseller?  You haven't said what your "issue" is.

November 1st, 2012 08:00

Thank you Speedstep

As I said, i have been dealing with Dell for years and the issues are that it is impossible to talk to anyone about  anything that may be relating to acquiring a Dell.  If I can illustrate this more by relating this to a recent purchase. Before going into that, a little background

As a sideline I help older people get on the net, and so what I usually do is buy the PC or laptop for them through Dell in my own name. This mean that they do not have to be involved with any issues if there is a need to follow up the order, and they are not contacted by Dell when renewals come up (i.e when Dell sniffs another chance to charge for extended warranties!). I do not sell the machines on, rather I just act as an intermediary. However Dell regards this as a business purchase.

The particular issue now is that I required a machine for my own use. This was made quite clear to the agent, as well as spelling out the fact that I had 7 days to return it if I change my mind, in terms of UK distance selling rules - to which the agent agreed and confirmed.. Having purchased the machine I then went back to the web a few days later and found that there was a better deal. I discussed this with the agent and he agreed that what I should do was not accept the order and he would then supply a replacement machine at the new price. I reiterate, this was done with the agents confirmation.

When I then contacted the courier, they said that Dell did not have a return to supplier option - despite this being a choice on the automated system- and not accepting the order would result in long delays. I then went back to the agent, who said he would have to pass this query on to another team who had knocked off for the day - why? I can't be the first person to return a machine, and Dell must have a 'simple ' way of doing this surely.? After much chasing around I eventually found a helpful person who said that she would get some other team to 'look into this' and see if this could not be treated as an exceptions as' Dell's Conditions' did not allow 'business order' to be returned.  I think it should be borne in mind that we are talking about a laptop order of less than £400!

Today I have had a call from Dell to say that they have looked at my account and my history of purchases, and because i have bought a few machines this year, they will, as a special case arrange for the collection of the machine.

This only list some of the issues and frustration i have had when dealing with Dell. Most of the time it is hopeless to deal with the supposed Dell dedicated agent' as he is only interested in how much he can sell. He has no leeway to make any offer or adjusted the price and in most cases when he gives me a quote I am able to go on to the website and find a better deal. However, once I have indicated the smallest interest, I am peppered with calls as to when i am going to make the buy decision.

Finally, can Dell please instruct their people not to use any of the following

Thank you for your patience

I most definitely can help you

I totally understand

They are most annoying, especially as the person does not mean any of it.

Thank you for reading this - I trust the gives some insight of the issues when dealing with Dell.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2012 12:00

This forum is not a feedback forum or direct contact with Dell.

I would suggest

Dell | Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/DellUK

or

Chat Now

3.8K Posts

May 15th, 2013 07:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with the same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on top the right to start a New Thread

No Events found!