8 Krypton

The bottom line... no service regardless of warranty

I've had quite possibly the longest hardware service chat I've ever had, speaking with two people, and resulting in no service. I have an overwhelming need to vent!

I have never called service on this device before, so except for a possible purchase of additional hard drive (that's another sad customer service story), short of registering the device (which was a nightmare because I bought it from an authorized dealer and not Dell direct---never do that guys) and buying the extended warranty (piece of cake, they are happy to take your money), I have never contacted Dell for anything concerning this computer.

I was pleasantly surprised that chat was available on July 4th---and quite desperate for a CD/DVD burner issue resolution in my M4600.  I dutifully plugged in my service tag and started chat.  The tech was pleasant and said he will be happy to resolve my issues.  Awesome!  Short lived joy!

Then he said that I have a "hold" on my account.  I said a hold to do what?  Everything I bought was paid for immediately, so why the hold? He said he didn't know and that I would have to call Customer Care.  Well, being a bit more savvy than I guess he figured, I asked if I could be transferred to Customer Care.  He said I could not because they were closed today.  I asked if he could see his way clear to assist me on this problem.  He said he could not.  A hold meant that, regardless that I have a warranty nowhere near expiring, he could not assist me at all.  So, I asked to speak to a supervisor.  He said he would get the supervisor but that she would tell me the same thing.  Long story, short, that is exactly what she did.  She refused to assist me, even though I had dates, amounts, and emailed verifications and receipts from the purchase---she didn't even ask.  I asked her to make a judgement call, and she said that I was asking her to be dishonest to the company.  I didn't ask her to lie---I asked her to put the customer above the computer error.  If she had assisted me, it would have been a commendation for improved customer service. 

As it stands, I still do not have access to a CD/DVD writer for a concert disk tomorrow night for which I paid over $4000 for this computer and in addition, a bumper-to-bumper warranty just to have the privilege of being told not that they were unable to help me, but they actively refused to help me.  I asked her to log a complaint and asked her to forward a request for the department to email me.  She refused to do this also.  She wasn't unpleasant, just a yes person, well in my direction a no person.

It isn't only the CD/DVD writer issue that bugs me.  Things happen...   It's a pain but, I'll go to the library and they will let me burn a disk off my jump drive.   Hardware Tech might not have been open on July 4th--after all it is a National holiday.  And, the drive may be just done and they might not have been able to tell me how to fix it.  They may have had to send me a replacement and I would still have to deal for probably more than just tomorrow's concert. It might even be a sign that it is time for me to ditch my 300 CD changer and start to learn how to use the iPod I've had for three years, though probably not by tomorrow night.

It's the fact that the few times I've had to deal with Dell, all the blogs come to haunt me... The authorized dealer had to call them and confirm that I purchased the device before they would let me register it, the fact that I asked to buy a 2nd hard drive and customer service says there is no place for that to go---it's in the manual! 

And now, the fact that I've gone for, I'm thinking, close to two years and suddenly, I have a hold on my account which tells customer service not to serve me!  I only get to learn that in an emergency situation when I need service!  Tech people, if what they said was true, their hands are tied and don't have an option to use either actual customer service or have any authority to override what is obviously an error, and get offended if you ask them to. That's just extremely poor customer service.  That really derails all the good products Dell comes up with. 

I sent an email, but I have a feeling it's going to be an uphill battle to get this resolved.  I don't have the time to deal with it on a concert day.

The bottom line... no service regardless of warranty.  Feeling a little hopeless.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: The bottom line... no service regardless of warranty

Jhqbraille,

The guys on the Disk Drives forum board can freely help you troubleshoot the CD/DVD issue. Post your specific PC model, CD/DVD drive, the issues and the troubleshooting you have already done.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Okay Chris M.  I will try.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Chris:

I did it all... two people responded and someone responded to similar complaints... I followed every diagnostic, every link, every nuance to resolve this problem, repeatedly.  I responded back with error codes that just told me I have a problem with my optical drive.  (Pardon me, but duh.) I flashed bios, uninstalled drives, downloaded analyzers, etc.  It passes everything for the dvd and nothing for the cd.  I think the cd optical laser is done and there really is no option but to replace it.

Back to my chief original complaint: My warranty does not expire for another year, but when speaking to customer service through warranty online, they said that I have a "Hold" on my account.  Please remove the hold; there is absolutely no reason for it.  I have an individual account and I'm in education---Dell knows me very well.  If they could have handled this hold problem in warranty customer service, I probably would have the drive in my hands already.  As it stands, I was pretty frazzled for a concert Friday night because I had to go through a lot to burn a cd.  It should just never have happened. 

0 Kudos

Jhqbraille,

Via private message (click my username in blue and then click Start Conversation) send me the following information =
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Computer Service Tag number:
Reason:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/customercare/f/4674/t/19515035.aspx

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos