I've had ongoing, though intermittent flickering in my two Dell U2414H monitors, especially when using DisplayPort inputs (regular or miniDP). I first posted issues in 2015 but didn't have the time to deal with swapping monitors on my work computer.
More recently, the issues and frequency worsened rapidly. I tried new DisplayPort cables in July, but did not fully resolve the issue. I assumed it would be a video card from my older Dell system. I ordered a new Dell XPS tower with upgraded video card on November 26, 2016. I noticed issues continuing or worse with new system/video card shortly after set-up. I contacted Dell on January 4, 2017 (Service request number: <SR#>) concerning the issues and spent several hours working through trouble-shooting with technicians, but issues continued and I was sent a replacement video card. I installed this video card on January 9, 2017 after it was delivered, and issues persisted. I purchased and replaced all DisplayPort cables again January 11, 2017 as that seemed to be my only option. The new cables did not solve the troubles, and further troubleshooting, I contacted Dell support on January 13, 2017.
My initial phone call with Dell support lasted 69 minutes (service request number <>), again going through all the troubleshooting steps I had previously attempted with the technician on January 4, 2017, was told a dispatch had been created for replacement monitors, to be delivered by January 18, 2017 (Dispatch Number <>).
On January 16, 2017 I received an email in the morning stating the dispatch was delayed. Four hours later I received another email stating the dispatch had been cancelled as there were no service tag numbers on these monitors. This email requested photos of the serial numbers from the back of each monitor, which I did then send. However, the serial number of both monitors show in my Dell account from the shipping invoice, so not really sure how this was required.
On the morning of January 18, 2017 I sent an email soliciting an update.
January 19, 2017 I received another email telling me the dispatch has again been cancelled. Again asking for the proof of purchase or similar. This was provided when I was on the phone with support on January 13, 2017, and confirmed by the tech.
What is going on?! Why am I still having to waste time dealing with this? I have been a loyal Dell customer for many years, and many upgrade cycles through my businesses (going back to 1998). These issues have already consumed WAY too many hours when I need to be working for clients, yet can not. This round of support for what seems like it should be a simple process, continues to be blocked because Dell chose not to include service tags on monitors?! I have 4 Dell monitors from the last 10 years, including the two I’m having these issues with, and none of them have service tags. The forums are filled with people in similar issues trying to get assistance with Dell monitors that were never shipped with service tags. I'm still in limbo...
Model: U2414H REV A01
Order Placed: November 28, 2014
Order Delivered: December 3, 2014
An update, though there is NO RESOLUTION!
After posting this I received a call from another Dell "Resolution Specialist" on January 20, 2017 informing me my issue had been "escalated" to him. I was told he would be handling the replacement process and I should be updated within 24-48 hours. Six hours later I received an email (addressing me by a first name I do not recognize) AGAIN requesting the proof of purchase! I forwarded the purchase confirmation email back again.
January 22, 2017 I receive email thanking me for the clarification email and "I will forward this to a team member to make sure that we will have your account information corrected and to proceed with the replacement. I will provide you updates as soon they are available."
January 25, 2017 - I sent an email in the morning requesting an update.
January 26, 2017 - Send another email in the morning requesting an update. Still no answer. No resolution. And today, my new XPS only recognizes the (single) monitor as a generic "digital flat panel" with max resolution of 640x480. Tried reinstalling drivers again, restarted several times, different DP ports, etc., but no change. SO #&%(&*&#$@%$ FRUSTRATED!