Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 16th, 2019 09:00

Why "Invalid Service Tag" comes up when you use the Dell site?

So I have recently obtained a laptop which has a ST and Express Service Code on it which is not being registered on the Dell site. I have never seen this before ever. Obviously some others have. So I found the original order number from a colleague of mine and all I have is a order date of 9/3/18, then a credit note date of 9/24/18. Maybe I'm now thinking this was a returned laptop that went missing in transit and Dell have never registered it past this date. Hence, why I cannot see anything when I want to register it. Can anyone give me a few reasons why this has happened? If a credit note was issued for an order and paid via pay-pal, surely Dell would want the return of the laptop first before issuing a full refund? The machine was purchased with one year support and a 3 year extension.

Any thoughts?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

April 16th, 2019 11:00

When I searched for the service tag for this XPS 13-9370 in our internal tool, it states, "Asset Hold: System is Back at Dell". There is no warranty attached to the service tag number. It originally sold on 9/3/18 to a customer in the UK. A refund/return was setup on 9/11/18. This means that you cannot "register" it into your name. I also do not see any record of it being resold by Dell? Which leads us to, how did you get it? From whom?

No Events found!