Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

15 Posts

November 24th, 2019 14:00

XPS 13 9365, Dell "support" has bricked it, what to do?

I have an xps 9365. About a month ago now, I asked Dell tech support why it was running hot when docked to WD15.

By hot I mean about 30+ degrees hotter than either unplugged or just using my power brick. I fully expect a laptop to run warmer when plugged in, but even with fully charged battery, when docked the laptop was in the mid-60s and often spiking over 90deg C.

At this time, the online tech said I could also (for a fee) have my internal battery replaced while at the depot and someone would call me.

So I sent the laptop in.

Nobody called me, it was returned about a week later and the OS was wiped. They didn't bother to update *any* drivers, or even the OS. So a few days later I finally had my system back up and running. Only to find the temperature problem was not fixed.

More discussion with tech support. This person also told me "the faulty part which caused overheating ruined the battery." Now, it's kind of a short logical leap to ask, if *your* part ruined *my* battery wouldn't you also replace it? Not to mention I was willing to pay to have it replace. This tech-support person tells me "Oh, they can't even do that battery replacement at the depot - even for a fee."

Whatever.. Send them the laptop back again he says - so I did.

Another week goes by, the laptop comes back and it won't even boot up.

Blue screen after blue screen.

Safe mode (with and without networking) can't boot up.

THREAD exceptions, IRQ exceptions and so on...

Call customer support. Spend over an hour relaying my situation - why do each of them act like there is no history they can just review?

On this call I'm told someone will me the next day (11/21) and schedule an on-site repair visit for 11/22. I ask "can I get the battery too?" Somehow that's ignored (if find out later)

TWO DAYS go by, nobody calls me.

I call support again - before I can even finish recounting my story the tech hangs up/disconnects. (No, I am not profane)

So call back.. ask for a manager. No, I have to INSIST on a manager. Have to relay the whole story again...

After some more hollow platitudes I'm assured dell does actually "really care" and they're "really sorry". This person is going to "watch my case the whole way," she is going to "e-mail me directly from her account to ensure it's tracked"

Guess what - get off the phone, and ZERO new e-mails from dell. 

Yes, I fully recognize the impotent gesticulation that this thread represents. It will not do anything for me, my  worthless $2000 xps or my work productivity. It's merely cathartic, or hopefully a cautionary tale for people lured by the attractiveness of the new xps 2-n-1. 

Dell - is this your idea of support? 

How does a support depot ship a machine back after service that won't even boot up?

Dell's support is either utterly incompetent or completely indifferent to their customers.

5.6K Posts

November 24th, 2019 19:00

How did you measure the temperature?

November 25th, 2019 08:00

Also, I can't update the time/location of my "scheduled service" because it seems to have been canceled!

clipboard_image_1.png

slow. clap.

November 25th, 2019 08:00

initially my highly calibrated fingers - which can barely pick up the laptop after being docked for some time...

Then for more accurate measures I use coretemp: https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

*small update - after posting here I now get only direct-messages in this forum from tech non-support person.

they still won't just send a battery out for this repair and so plan for me to take *TWO* days to deal with their on-site support.

The on-site support system is so bad i can't even update the location. It's like dell thinks people's only job is to compensate for their useless support center by hanging around, calling and waiting and re-installing OS and driver updates in between blue screens.

Still have not received a single 'personal' email from the "manager" in the support center.

Still no phone call about my supposed on-site repairs (was supposed to be 11/20, then 11/21, 11/22...) 

November 25th, 2019 12:00

awesome, another day - another dell failure.

clipboard_image_1.png

how is this any kind of customer support? delayed over 5 calendar days at this point. For a service the depot has failed at twice, making things worse each time.

Still no follow up from dell?!

they still assert "its too much trouble to do the battery at the same time"

So they keep kicking this "repair" further down the road and meanwhile the second repair for the battery gets further away also.

Has anyone got a number for dell that would actually do any good? These clowns clearly do not give a damn about when, or even if, my machine is fixed.

November 25th, 2019 12:00

a new height for incompetence. I get this message *AFTER* dell has cancelled my service for the day.

clipboard_image_0.png

based on the service system I am unable to reschedule it.

dell on twitter says "just use the forum"

dell on the forum is completely useless, clearly.

November 26th, 2019 11:00

another day, another dell-disappointment 

clipboard_image_0.png

third cancel/reschedule going into the holidays..

November 28th, 2019 09:00

i have given up on dell "support"

they are completely worthless.

but i will update here if they ever actually attempt to fix the computer they broke *two weeks ago*

latest is appointment was cancelled/rescheduled for 11/29.

That is a full week later than when my 'case was escalated' and the 'manager' was going to personally follow up and track my case.

bunch of trolls.

November 30th, 2019 20:00

So once again, I'm 3 months into this problem and dell "support" have left me with a bricked laptop.

I am literally worse for ever having tried to use their warranty support. 

November 30th, 2019 20:00

So a guy finally shows up. On the phone I'm a nuisance for only being available until 1pm on 4th day of my service being rescheduled. 

He swapped some components and left before the laptop even completely booted up. 

So I tried letting it run for a while. Dell driver and windows updates.

It took all of about 3 hours of use and I'm right back to BSOD. 

This time for "internal power error" 

• 

25.1K Posts

December 3rd, 2019 15:00

Hi Perry,

Prajwal here from Dell community.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the delay in response.

We would like to troubleshoot the BSOD issue that you've encountered on the system.

Please revert to us at your convenience so that we can assist you further.

We would like to get n a call with you to make sure the resolution is given faster.

Prajwal.

December 8th, 2019 21:00

Each rep at dell support has been equal parts incompetent and dishonest.

And you're lying now - Dell have no interest in helping.

I've told via email they can call me whenever.. but it never happens. My support ticket shows like 20 "called customer" but you NEVER ONCE have called me.

On the phone a 'manager' says they'll call the next day - never do

On phone a 'manager' says they'll replace battery - never do

Umpteen times "this case will be escalated" - well if my problems are being managed with extra attention and care, for the past month, then you are even more pathetic.

i respond here now to make it clear that anyone else who ever finds this understands Dell did NOT make anything right.

My laptop before - moderate/mild overheating when attached to a dock.

My laptop since Dell support?

1. mild/moderate overheating

2. BSOD

3. BIOS errors with "missing hard drive"

4. reinstalled OS, drivers and all work stuff 3x

5. creaking & popping screen hinges

6. glacially slow boot times

all the while you dell support jokers periodically sending me an e-mail or DM here with disinformation.. like this guy telling me i can get hosed about the battery:

ruinedlaptop_1-1575869819610.png

but previously I was told, and then confirmed, otherwise - 

ruinedlaptop_1-1575869461503.png

so who is helping here? 

nobody.

again, THREE MONTHS LATER for the same problem with no fix, things only getting worse your useless organization has not even bothered to call me once.

• 

25.1K Posts

December 8th, 2019 22:00

I'm sorry to hear about these issues. We'd certainly troubleshoot this and get it resolved. Let us know once you're available.

December 9th, 2019 19:00

I've already told you I am/was - you never call

You just keep responding here to make it seem as someone is doing something.

You have not, and clearly do not, intend to do anything but waste more and more time

• 

25.1K Posts

December 9th, 2019 19:00

Let us know a 2-hour time frame, so we can arrange a callback.

December 10th, 2019 14:00

4-6pm PST today

No Events found!