Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

January 27th, 2013 16:00

XPS15-L521: What is correct configuration for 1TB HDD and 128gb SSD or what's the matter with Dell?

I had to send my laptop to the depot to get the keyboard replaced because the WorldWide Technology tech couldn't get the screws out under the backplate. Well, the depot DPS # didn't replace the keyboard but instead replaced my HDD!! Don't ask me why!! They sent the computer back to me with the original OS, Windows 7 Home Premium, even though I had installed Windows 8 Pro. Of course the depot didn't bother to install any drivers except what was absolutely necessary, e.g. Network drivers. When I powered up the system I was taken immediately to the System Configuration Utility where I was given a choice to select option 3 or option 6. I am sorry but I don't remember the exact text of option 3 but is was something about Raid. Option 6 was EXIT. The remaining 4 choices were not selectable (grayed out). Within a few seconds Windows 7 launched so I didn't have time to read anything. Nevertheless, I went ahead and entered a username, password etc. and everything appeared to be normal except of course I had WebCam, no Touchpad Utility, Graphic Card needed upgrading, etc, etc. Oh, and I could not see the SSD.

So, I called Dell Tech Support. The tech ( a guy of course) had me disable the Intel (not so) Smart ResponseTechnology in the bios and set it to I think it was ACHI or something like that. After that he did something in the Configuration Utility where the drives can be partioned and formatted. I am sorry I don't know what he did because my grandkids were over and I was visiting with them. Anyway, when he finished and the system rebooted I was still getting a message about DATAPART(D) something, something, something and then system started right up. The tech said that message was probably because their was probably some corrupted files on the SSD. So he went back into the partion and format utility and I thought reformatted the SSD. After that he said goodbye I shut down, watched a movie with my grandson and went to bed.

The next morning I woke up and found that I could no longer see the SSD drive. Long story short, I called Dell again and talked to a tech named Naasir. He said "not to worry" (all the Dell Techs say that) he would fix it. He then went in and reformatted the the HDD and reinstalled the OS again after changing the Intel SR Technology setting in the bios. When the system came back up I could see both the SSD and HDD but the SSD was registered as the C drive with OS on the SSD. HDD was registered as drive D and was completely empty! I told him that was wrong because that was not how the laptop HDD and SSD was configured when I the laptop first arrived back on August 17, 2012. He told me I was wrong and that I didn't understand. I then asked to speak to his manager named Chaitan. After another long conversation with Chaitan and my pointing out a thread on this forum where a person couldn't see his SSD after install Bios A04 and emailing him a Dell support Article ID 552033.

As I write this Nassir is reformatting the HDD, SSD, and installing the original drivers and apps, I think. I had to use drivers dvd that came with the system to install the network drivers because apparently Win 7 Home doesn't install network drivers, I guess. As of now 7:18 PM EST I have been on the phone with Dell since before 1PM and as I told the manager and his tech, it wouldn't be so unforgiveable if not for 3 things. 

1. I thought sending the computer to Dell Depot to get the keyboard replaced for erractic cursor movent and behavior only to have the Depot people ignore mine and the WorldWide Technology tech's notes that were inside the box with the pc and completely remove the HDD and the kicker, not even return the laptop to the original factory configuration.

2. I spent several hours the night before setting up the laptop.

3. Causing me to waste yet another day with Dell instead of enjoying my Sunday with my family.

P.S. 7:47PM same night

Restarted system and System Error Recovery utility has come up. Guess what, we are reinstalling the OS again and reformatting the HDD again. Naasir went to to confer with his compadres. He is now saying unfortunately somethiing must have went wrong with the installation so we have to reinstall the OS. Imagine that. By the way Dell, you can delete this post if you want you to. I have a copy.

P.S.S. 7:56 PM Same Night

Reboot into Windows OS 7 installation CD, Install Windows screen does not show a HDD or a SSD. Nassir is dumb founded! Now I am being offered an exchange but Chaitan had the nerve to offer me a refurbished system!! That is unacceptable!! They want me to take a refurbished machine with a continued warranty!! Who do they think they are dealing with? I know Dell is a big company and doesn't give a about me especially since rumor has it Dell is on the takeover to the higher bidder block. I'll pack it up along with the other 2 machines I have and return them to Dell! Go get all the chat transcripts and look at all the service request calls and add up all the time I've spent just since August trying to get this over $2500 hunk of metal to work the way it should have out of the box.

8.8K Posts

January 28th, 2013 14:00

George,

What happened to you is totally messed up I can't dispute that. I take it at face value that what you have typed is the truth.

I've been there ...although no comfort to your situation I know how you feel.

There's just one thing that I want to say re: system exchange.

It's SOP that when you get a replacement it will be a refurbished system.  They are checked out and tested prior to shipping. They have the exact same warranty that the system it is replacing had. I have had a system replaced with a refurb. and it worked OK for me.

You don't agree with this I know, but, unfortunately that is the way Dell operates.

Take the system exchange and get past this is my advice.

Zb1

45 Posts

January 29th, 2013 10:00

Dear zbestwun2001,

Thanks for your advice. I do understand what you are saying and believe me when I say every word is the truth. I have an Inspiron 1012 that is refurbished I purchased in 2010. It works fine, but I am incensed over this latest issue with Dell. I would maybe consider a refurbish if Dell would at least admit their bungling of the repair and offer to restart the warranty period. Dell has just doesn't care anymore. Especially since they have taken the market share from HP in Corporate sells.

Have you heard about this as reported on NPR on January 24, 2013

Private Equity Firm In Talks To Take Over Dell

by STEVE HENN

As the leading manufacturer of personal computers, Dell was once one of the world's most important technology companies. But that's changed dramatically as information technology has in many ways moved past the PC. Dell is on the verge of being acquired from shareholders by a private equity group. One of the investors may be Microsoft, also an early computer-age leader now struggling to adapt.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/24/170135516/private-equity-firm-to-take-over-dell

45 Posts

April 5th, 2013 22:00

I returned the XPS15 for a refund. I purchased a XPS12 Convertible. Let's hope all works well.

8.8K Posts

April 6th, 2013 13:00

Cool, glad you got this resolved.

I believe you got an upgrade in models also?

Enjoy it~

No Events found!