Highlighted
trainguy08
1 Copper

service tag does not match shipping address

My daughter bought a Dell Inspiron 2330 in 2012 and never registered it or created a set of recovery disks.  Now the hard drive is dead and when she contacted Dell to get a set of recovery disks, they asked for the service tag and shipping address.  Two Dell representatives said the service tag did not match the shipping address. 

She bought this from Newegg.  Is the shipping address Newegg's since my daughter never registered her address?  Newegg has their address on the box. Maybe Dell shows it was shipped to Newegg and since my daughter never registered it, it still shows their address as the shipping address.

thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: service tag does not match shipping address

Anytime a computer is purchased from a reseller, the purchaser must transfer the ownership of the service tag into their name using the online form. Until that is complete, nothing can be done. If the computer was purchased from newegg anytime prior to May 12, 2012, the warranty has already expired and you cannot use the Backup Media Request form. If that is the case, you will need to buy the operating system discs from a 3rd party vendor like this one.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
trainguy08
1 Copper

Hello Chris,

thank you for the information.  She actually purchased it in 2013, but the form still said it was out of warranty, which I understand.  Should I still be able to order the recovery disks even though it is after May 12, 2012?

thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos

I can see how this is confusing. The form is tied to the initial release date from Dell, not from when newegg sold it.

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos