Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

9 Posts

June 21st, 2018 07:00

Connect VMware to SC2020 fault domain

Hi,

I have a question about how to connect a SC2020 to VMware. We have 2 controllers with 4x 1Gb network adapters. We currently have 2 switches in a stacked configuration. So basically both switches act like one switch (one subnet).

We have massive latency problems and I am trying to figure out what is causing this. Our previous admin configured both fault domains in the same subnet and connected just one fault domain to VMware using 1 iscsi target. However in this configuration the max bandwidth a single LUN has is only 2x 1Gb because only 1 controller is owning the LUN. The other fault domain is not connected in VMware so is not doing anything.

In a one (stacked) switch configuration you would probably use one fault domain. But the SC2020 always has 2 fault domains (it cannot be changed) it would make more sense to separate the switches and make 2 isolated subnets for both iscsi targets. Right?

If so, how do you configure the VMware ESXI host? Our host has 4 network adapters available for iscsi.

Do I create:

1 vswitch and bundle 2 network adapters with portbinding and connect those to the fault domains A (subnet A) and do the same for the other 2 adapters created another vswitch for domain B?

Any advise is much appreciated

Regards

Arnold

• 

6.9K Posts

June 21st, 2018 09:00

Hello Arnold,

Here is our best practice guide for using VMware with an SC system. http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20441056

Here is our Deployment guide as well for setting up your SCv2020. http://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/storage-sc2000_deployment-guide_en-us.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

9 Posts

June 24th, 2018 23:00

Thanks Sam,

I am aware of  both documents but hey use 2x 10Gb adapters. In this case is clear how to set this up. My question is about 4x 1Gb and use all adapters.

Regards

Arnold

• 

6.9K Posts

June 25th, 2018 07:00

Hello Arnold,

If you look on page 54 of the Deployment guide it shows you how you want to connect your SCv2020 when using 1gb connections & using a single switch.  Also, you want to have 1VM kernel port to one VSwitch.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

9.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2018 14:00

@alina_scott wrote:

Fault domains enable you to protect against rack or chassis failure if your vSAN cluster spans across multiple racks or blade server chassis. ... A fault domain consists of one or more vSAN hosts grouped according to their physical location in the data center.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the contents in this post. The fault domains discussed in this post are related to the Compellent SAN architecture and have no relationship to a vSAN fault domain.

If you have nothing to contribute related to the subject in a post, please refrain from posting.

No Events found!