Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 17th, 2015 03:00

Dell PowerVault TL2000 Tape Library Drive 2 Status error

Dear All, 

I’m facing problem in my Dell PowerVault TL2000 Tape Library .

In system status show me as below

Drive 2 Status error

so I’m not able to perform cleaning for drive 2 or to do my regular backup  , any one can help me to solve this issue .

Library Name

SARUH00TL01

Status

Media Attention

Drive 1 Status

Ready

Drive 2 Status

Error

Slots (Empty/Total)

0/23

I/O Station

Closed

Library Time

11:42:27

Auto Clean Status

Chk Media/Rsvd Slot

• 

6.9K Posts

June 17th, 2015 08:00

Hello tareq707,

What is the error that it gives for drive 2? Also looking at what you posted it looks like you have all your slots full and you maybe trying to but a tape back & it can’t due to no open slots?  Last thing that I would check is to make sure that your cleaning media has a barcode label on it & that it is in the cleaning slot, & make sure that you don’t have more than 24 tapes in the system.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

3 Posts

June 18th, 2015 07:00

actually no any error code , just show me that " drive 2 stsatus error "

from drive status i can see

drive 2 status : error

Drive Error code :  no error .

i cehcked the drive , then i found stuck tap in drive 2 , i removed the drive but still error on drive 2  

• 

6.9K Posts

June 18th, 2015 12:00

Hello tareq707,

Once you removed the media from the drive did you reboot Your TL2000 or no? If you didn’t then I would reboot the TL2000 & see if it comes back up with the same error again. If you do get the same error again then I would say that there is an issue with the drive as it won’t come to a ready state.  Also if you could see if you can get a drive dump log from drive 2 as we may be able to look at that & see what is causing the error that you are seeing.  

3 Posts

June 20th, 2015 02:00

yes i did restart after tap stuck removing . also i upgraded the firmware of drive & Library .

attached dump file for drive 2 , as exported text file . 

appreciate your professional support .

1 Attachment

• 

6.9K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hello tareq707,

Thanks for the drive dump log.  So in looking at the log it is showing that the drive is getting a medium error.  Now in most cases what that is referring to is an issue with the media that was inserted into the drive.  Normally if you see this happen on one tape then the tape is bad.  In your case I am seeing it happen a few different tapes.  Now in that case I would say to try to clean the drive 2-3 times and then try to load a data tape in & do a test backup to see if the error happens again or not.  Since you are not able to do a cleaning on the drive as it won’t accept any media then in this case I would replace the drive if it is still under warranty.  If it is not still under warranty then what I would do is to see if you can manually load the cleaning media into the drive & see if it will clean the drive.  

• 

6.9K Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hello tareq707,

Thanks for the drive dump log.  So in looking at the log it is showing that the drive is getting a medium error.  Now in most cases what that is referring to is an issue with the media that was inserted into the drive.  Normally if you see this happen on one tape then the tape is bad.  In your case I am seeing it happen a few different tapes.  Now in that case I would say to try to clean the drive 2-3 times and then try to load a data tape in & do a test backup to see if the error happens again or not.  Since you are not able to do a cleaning on the drive as it won’t accept any media then in this case I would replace the drive if it is still under warranty.  If it is not still under warranty then what I would do is to see if you can manually load the cleaning media into the drive & see if it will clean the drive.  

October 14th, 2015 06:00

Hello Sam,

My name is Rafael and I'd like to bring up a question about the same subject.

I work at Unicamp (State University of São Paulo - Brazil) and we have had problems in our Dell Powervault TL2000.

Every now and then, an specific drive (Drive 1) turns out, being in Idle status and the Port A move on to status logged out, without reason.

Furthermore, even after restarting PowerVault, reschedule/restart the whole backup pool, it fails again.

Provided that we are stuck in this issue without move forward, I'd kindly ask you to help us with some way to overcome this problem.

I've heard that update the firmware would not fix the issue at once. Would you advise us to update the firmware before trying another solution ?

Driver Log

----------------

006:05:45:15.00x43 0x48 0x10 0x00 0x4F

026:01:46:44.00x43 0x48 0x10 0x00 0x4F

004:11:57:34.00x43 0x48 0x10 0x00 0x4C

000:13:53:54.00x43 0x48 0x10 0x00 0x4C

023:05:26:12.00x43 0x48 0x10 0x00 0x4C

View Logs

---------------

14.03.14 23:18:11.28 LIB/ERR <80 8A 61 15 2B 02 00 00 00 00 00 00 FF 02

12 FF 04 01 02 30 30 30 30 30 39 4C 35 00

00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

00 > HE: slider blocked

I downloaded the drive_dump.bin, loader_error_tracer_dump.trc and other, so as to give you further information about what is going on with our unit.

I'd appreciate if you could send me a mail to (rafael.prado@reitoria.unicamp.br), so I can reply with all those file to clear up any doubt you may have and better figure out the problem.

In addition, I know that all unit is still under warranty, but whenever we open up a ticket with Dell Support to report that problem, they blaime BackupExec instead of carrying on a deep investigation performing intrusive tests in order to confirm whether or not the unit should be replaced or we should engage BackupExec Team.

Sam, please let me know if you need further logs, files and so on.

Best Regards

Rafael F. Prado

No Events found!